avi8tor50

Well Known Member
OK-this may be a silly question-but-has anyone noticed (at least on the plans for the -9) that the plans specifiy putting the 421"R" bellcrank on the LEFT wing and the 421 "L" bellcrank on the RIGHT wing? I have cross checked this on several different parts of the plans. The only thing I can think of the is that the "R" and the "L" refer to the side that the stick to aileron pushrod is on relative to the bellcrank. Please let me know if I am missing something. Thanks

It has been awhile, and my wings are stored so I can't look right now, but that's what I remember too. Might be worth a quick call to Van's to double check. Hope this helps.

Nope, that's the way they're labeled. For me it's even more confusing cause the plans are right side up and my wing is upside side down trying to figure out which way the bellcrank is oriented.

The plans are correct.

The bellcrank is a common part between many of the RV models and its part # reflects its location in the other models. Only the RV-9 is different.

Because of the RV-9 having an airfoil shape that gets rather thin at the rear spar, the bellcranks need to be installed upside down to provide clearance for the bellcrank to aileron pushrod. Because of this you need to flip-flop them between wing locations that the normally install in.