prkaye

Well Known Member
How is one supposed to get that long bolt through the (aileron) bellcrank brackets?? The main spar flanges get in the way and I don't have anywhere near enough clearance for the bolt!

oh wait... those bellcrank brackets are screwed in through nutplates on the front of the spar aren't the? So I can just remove the brackets, assemble the bellcrank, and re-attach the brackets, without taking the wing apart?

next question - they don't say what size drill bit to use for reaming out the bellcrank bushing... 0.250" ? I tried a 0.0246" bit (that came with my toolkit), but the bolt still won't slide through the bushing...

Last edited:
what's a "reamer" ? Do I just go to the hardware store and ask for one, or does it have to be an aircraft tool?

reamer

Thanks Kevin. This sounds like a tool I'll need anyway, so I'll go buy one (beside, I've leeched off you enough already!).
Any tips on what kind to get? Will a "hand reamer" be suitable?

A reamer is a precision tool used to enlarge holes to specific size. There are hand reamers and machine reamers. A hand reamer is used "by hand" (usually held with a tap holder) and has a long tapered lead in. Machine reamers are designed to use in a lathe , mill or drill press. Always drill 1/64 undersize and finish with the reamer. Reamers in general have six or eight cutting flutes and will not wander in the hole giving you the dimension required. AN bolts are slightly undersize and will slide nicely in a reamed hole.
Remember on the bellcrank, the brass bushing is held tight between the brackets by the bolt and the Bellcrank rotates around the bushing. So make sure the bushing slides in the bellcrank freely and is 1/64 to 1/32 longer and as Van's states,"use your favorite grease to lubricate".
You have to go to a tool supply store to find reamers.

Steve