algrajek

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if they are still making the Bell Tailwheel.
I have emailed him, but no response.
Thanks
AL

Al-

As far as I know they still do. It did take a few weeks for Doug to get back to me when I initially emailed him. I placed my order in early June with an expected delivery date in the late fall or early winter.

I got mine from Vince (with the deluxe tailwheel) ... in stock and very nicely done.
Great guy to deal with.

I'm sure Doug's is a fine product also.
My .02
Steve 81604 Fuse

I guess I should clarify why its a better design. The design of the fork is such to minimize the distance between the pivot centerline and the axle centerline. What this does is make a very noticeable difference in the force required to make the tailwheel break out. Taxiing and crosswind landings become a bit easier as a result. When you go from the stock tailwheel to Vince's you will notice right away a big difference... it takes a lot less rudder jockeying when taxiing in a crosswind.

Vince's Tailwheel

Just my two cents also. I'm running Vince's tailwheel and with zero complaints.

I like it better then Bells and Aviation Products because it pretty much looks like and is the same design as Van's. Just increases the ground clearance of the tailwheel fork which is what I was after. Vince is great to deal with, product has excellent workmanship and he will custom fit one to your existing Van's mount if need be. See his website to check the dimension of the socket it goes into assuring a perfect fit. This makes it an easy bolt in ten minute job to change it out with a stock Van's one.

My previous 6 ran the Aviation Products tailwheel assembly with no problems and is another great company to deal with. You must change out the whole tailwheel assembly to run theirs. Also have to drill the mounting holes to match the Van's tailwheel rod.

Ted

In regards to the Original Poster's question, I think that the Bell's are generally pretty busy with their real lives, but have always gotten to people in turn. Clearly, if you need something right away, the Frazier or API wheels are readily available. I have been quite happy with my API for a couple of years now - no complaints. It did take and hour or two to install, as I had to drill it to the tailwheel spring. Louise got a bell wheel late last year, and it took a few minutes to install, as it just bolts in. It (and I assume the Frazier, if it has the same shaft diameter as Van's) also can use the Silver Bullet control arm - mine can't as the shaft size is different. Trivial, but a difference....

Buy whichever of the three you can get on your schedule - but buy SOMETHING other than Van's....

Paul

Spoke with doug at OSH and all indications are that they are still making tailwheels. Kinda just happend to be talking to him about his airplane and then realized it was the doug bell of the tailwheel type. I could not tell you what his schedule is though.

Bell Lead Time

I ordered a Bell tailwheel early this year; Doug indicated a Fall 08 delivery. Figure at least 9 months.

Mike

They are definately still in the business, but there is always a waiting list. I'll install mine this weekend. Nice people.