pdmccaw

I'm New Here
Does it matter which way the rivets face? For example: the HS609PP to HS603PP-shop head fore or aft? I started with a few inserted through the 609 (shop head forward) but I have that nervous beginner's doubt.

Convention is to put the shop head on the side with the thicker material, but that isn't an absolute rule and ease of installation/bucking should also be considered...

Aesthetics Aside

As long as the rivet is well set it doesn't matter. And a well set rivet is a rivet that is a bear to drill out. Poorly set rivets are easy to drill out :)

Jim Sharkey
RV-6 Phase 1

AC43-13 does cover this, as does the RV builder's manual (at least my manual for the -7 does). Manufactured head on the thinner material, shop head on the thicker. The difference in strength and longetivitiy on the joint is minimal (some would say negligible), but there is a difference. That being said, for the reinforcing strips on the horizontal and vertical stab, put the manufactured head on the thicker material side, because it looks nicer and that's the side you'll be able to see once it's finished (if you look).