the_other_dougreeves

Well Known Member
There is a funny yet disturbing article (sadly, registration required) in today's Wall Street Journal about honey bees, particular Africanized bees, and their strange desire to form hives in airplanes - Southwest 737s seem to be their favorite. However, the article does note that they seem to like Jet-A and not 100LL, so I guess we're safe.

Part of me was just waiting for the article to quote a SWA captian as saying "I am tired of these [unintelligible] bees on my [unintelligible] plane!"

the_other_dougreeves said:
... the article does note that they [bees] seem to like Jet-A and not 100LL, so I guess we're safe.
I swear that somewhere is a travel brochure advertising my Skylane as a spider paradise. I almost always find one up above the glareshield. I've had them rappel down from from the VC compass during takeoff before - very distracting. Last time I pulled into the shade hangar, I had one rappelling down from the wing before I even got the pilot door open! I think they live in the shade hangar roof and then jump down when there's a plane available. Hateful insidious little evil creatures!

Just today, I had a spider blasted out of my fresh air vent onto my knee board in flight, and another one rappell down from the ceiling during taxi. I was wrong. My Skylane is not a Spider vacation paradise, it's a retirement paradise. They come to my plane to live and settle down (and breed!) Bleah!! I hate them!