aelkins

Greetings,
Been a while since posting on VAF's.
The economic recession caught me a couple years ago as my employer of 20+ years had to downsize it's operations. Fortunately, I found another job in 4Q/08 and am now just catching up on the accruing bills. As the unemployment rate seems to be higher than ever, I consider myself very lucky. (believe me, finding yourself unemployed after 20 years of service is a life changing situation.. my heart goes out to those still looking for work)

Naturally, during my one year of unemployment, I had to eliminate many of the non-essential items. Flying was one of the first to go. (although many of you will contest flying IS essential however when faced between flying and cutting back on your kids essentials, the choice becomes clear). Now that I'm back to work, and somewhat better financially positioned, I'm ready to get back to my goal of flying. (and eventually purchase a RV6/7)
Recently, I met a local gentleman that has a 1941 Aeronca (65 HP basic stick & rudder) He flies around locally and typically hops from grass strip to grass strip. This leads me to the question that is directed to seasoned tail-dragger pilots out there.
Would the Aeronca be a good choice to gather my basic tail-dragger experience from? Would you consider it a step-trainer to a RV6/7? (as far as ground handling, T/O, and landing characteristics apply.)
I realize (and plan) to take actual dual transistion for my check out prior to actually buying a RV. And may persuade a little RV6 time with a local pilot just to be better skilled prior to the actual transistion training and sign-off.
Just thought I'd get some of the expericed point of views before getting started.
Have a great day guys...

Welcome back!

I think the training you can get in the Aeronca will be fine. It's not gonna fly like an RV, but the transition won't be hard.

What Larry said....

Any tailwheel experience helps when the time comes to climb in a TD RV. Time in the Aeronoca would add to your knowledge base.

More importantly, welcome back to the forums and congratulations on getting a new job!

b,
dr

You have to ASK if you should log time in an Aeronca?!?! :)

Good, old, honest airplane time is always valuable, not matter where you find it, but visiting grass strips in an Aeronca or a Cub is priceless....never pass up the opportunity!

Paul

Yeah, welcome back....

...to the land of the living!:)

You get proficient in the Aeronca and the RV TD's will be a piece of cake.

Regards,