LarryT

Well Known Member
The purpose of the trip from Goheen Field to Ryan Field was to visit my (almost) 89 year-old Dad. The magic carpet for this trip was N544WB, an RV-6A that first flew in 1997 that I purchased flying earlier this year. This is a summary of the good, the bad and the ugly.

The Good
1. Seeing my Dad was really great. Since he's nearly 1200 miles away and 89 y.o., and can't really travel, who knows how many more opportunities I'll have.
2. I got a job a small job assignment in Bend, OR, so part of the flight was billable and travel expenses were partially reimbursable.
3. Except for some forest fire smoke, weather and visibility were mostly excellent.
4. The route of flight going was W52 (Goheen) - BDN (Bend) - BAM (Battle Mountain, NV) - 67L (Mesquite, NV) following the Colorado River to EED (Needles) then direct to RYN (Ryan Field Tucson). This was spectacular flying over some beautiful mountains and desolate desert. After waiting for ground fog to clear in the Battle Ground/Portland area, my start was late enough and work was long enough in Bend that I stopped overnight in Battle Mountain. I had flown most of the way from Bend to BAM at 11,500 and it wa a little bumpy. The combination of high altitude without O2 and hand flying was a little tiring. I thought that I could have easily flown another hour, but Mesquite was 2 hours away and I didn't think I would enjoy flying that far.

I had originally planned to cross the west end end of the Grand Canyon and go over Prescott and Phoenix to Tucson, but radio problems (see "The Ugly") caused me to change to a route "less traveled." I enjoyed the trip over the river. As a student pilot on my long solo cross-country flight, Needles was my fuel stop. I followed the Sectional map that time without any trouble. Another student pilot making the same trip a day after me got lost and wound up at the Ford Motor Co. Desert Proving Ground!

Coming into RYN, I apologized for my radio on the initial call. The tower controller was very gracious. After landing he asked where I wanted to go. I told him "the avionics shop" so he gave me progressive taxi instructions to SW Avionics.

5. For the return trip, because the radio issue was still unresolved, I elected to fly direct to Needles then to a fuel stop at Skyranch in Sandy Valley, NV. When I saw covers over the fuel pumps I was concerned, but they just turned out to be for protection of the pumps and hoses from the sun. The next leg was Skyranch to O43 (Yerington, NV) Where I took a 1.5 hr break for food and flight planning. It looked like I could make it all the way home, but with sunset at 7:30 PM, when I got near Redmond, OR, it looked like stopping might be a better choice than cutting it close since I am not night current. I had to wait for fog to lift in the Portland area before I could take off the next morning, when I had a spectacularly beautiful flight from RDM back to W52 home base. The entire Cascade RAnge from the Three Sisters all the way to Mt. Ranier was visible!

6. I estimate that I flew about 2400 miles and that flying time was somewhere between 13.5 and 14 hours. That means my average ground speed was somewhere between 171 - 178 including climbs, descents and time in the pattern. My cruise speeds are limited by the 2600 RPM Sensenich propeller red-line. Cruise speeds at that RPM setting ranged from 175 - 195 mph TAS. I used 108.8 gallons of 100LL at a cost of $467, which works out to 22 mpg. BTW, when I priced a commercial ticket for this trip, it was $480. So as far as I'm concerned, since I would have made this trip anyway, I flew the RV-6A for free (Note: my wife does not necessarily share this opinion.;)

The Bad?

1. For some as of yet undetermined reason, Cylinder #1 ran a CHT 25 degrees less than 2 - 4 and 100 degrees less EGT. Mag drops were the same both sides and normal RPM drop. I plan to pull the spark plugs on #1 to see if I can learn anything. I assume that the wires are 12 years old, although the engine has only 425 operating hours. Is it likely that I could have a plug wire issue that doesn't show up in the pre-takeoff mag check? I will also trade thermocouple wires to see if it is a sensor problem.

The Ugly

1. I continue to have a radio issues. Transmission and reception is scratchy and weak with the engine running. I pretty much need to be within 10 miles of an airport to have readable transmission and reception. SW Avionics bench-tested the ICOM 200 and told me that an audio amplifier was "weak."

I purchased a Vertex hand-held just so I would have a back-up radio for this trip. When I plugged my Halo headset into the Vertex adapter and tried to transmit, all I got was a loud feedback squeal. Is it possible that the in-line volume control in the Halo is not well enough shielded to be used that close to the Vertex antenna? Since I couldn't use the Vertex, I fiddled around with the ICOM some more and found that it was slightly better when I used my old DCs instead of the Halo. That was a pain since I am tall and don't have much canopy clearance. You "pilot-sized" guys are lucky! When the audio amp is "weak" in the ICOM, does that mean that the signal-to-noise ratio is diminished to the extent that normal sources of RFI become more prominent?

2. Upon return to W52, I found the P-lead shield wire to the left mag was broken. Unfortuantely the attaching screw to ground the shield wire to the mag case has been reefed on really tight and the screw head is damaged, so it it going to be a real adventure getting it off. The shield wire for the right mag is hanging on by just few threads.

3. My plan is to fix the P-lead shield wires and properly ground them at the mags, then see what kind of radio performance I get before shipping the ICOM off. (Apparently ICOMs have to be sent back to the manufacturer for repair).

Summary

As far as I'm concerned the Good tremendously overwhelmed the Bad and Ugly for this trip. As I have about 50 hrs. in a no-radio T-Craft I managed to deal with my radio issues OK. I'm curious about the variation in CHT and EGT on #1, but my airspeeds and fuel economy were sure great.

If you have had the perservernce to read this far and have any suggestions, please feel free to reply.

LarryT

KRYN

Larry, there are a few of us RV builders/flyer's at Ryan, next time give us a heads up and we will treat you to some fine local food. Glenn

Ryan Field RVers

I intend to return as often as possible to see my Dad while the visits are still meaningful for both of us.

So, I will take you up on your kind offer.

BTW, my Dad's best friend is Richard Bushong, who flew 28 B-17 combat missions over Germany in WWII. Richard volunteers at the B-17 museum inside the Pima Air Museum.

Larry

QT Halo

Larry,
I, too, had similar problems with the QT Halo squealing with my handheld, as well as at least a third of the other radios I tried it with. It has something to do with the electronic circuitry in the headset, not a problem with your radio.

When I flew your plane up to Washington, I had trouble with the radio, but not as bad as you're experiencing. I was OK as long as I was within about 40-50 miles of Oakland or Seattle Center's transmitter, but beyond that they lost me. I would suggest finding someone else with the same radio and swap them for a day to see if the problem is truly in the radio itself. I'd also suggest pulling all of the antenna connections and check them for dirt/corrosion/proper crimping, etc. Bad antenna connections account for 50% of all radio problems.

I'm glad you had a great trip! It was fun reading about it.

Craig Vincent is the best!

Wow, service above and beyond during the pre-buy and delivery and now post delivery follow-up!

Folks, Craig is the guy you should use for your flying RV pre-buy inspections!

Great suggestion to swap radios. The folks at Ryan told me that Juan was a good guy and that they all use SW Avionics for their work (that was an unsolicited endorsement). He had the radio out on the bench to conclude there is a problem, but I still think the idea of swapping after I get the P-lead shield wire truly grounded is a good one. Is there anyone near Battle Ground, WA with an ICOM 200 that I could borrow for a little while? I can fly to your field.

Larry Tompkins

I intend to return as often as possible to see my Dad while the visits are still meaningful for both of us.

So, I will take you up on your kind offer.

BTW, my Dad's best friend is Richard Bushong, who flew 28 B-17 combat missions over Germany in WWII. Richard volunteers at the B-17 museum inside the Pima Air Museum.

Larry

We just lost a dear member of our EAA chapter (81), Roy McCaldin who flew B-17's and was shot down during the war. He flew his own homebuilt, a WW-I replica of a DH-4 up until his death. I feel fortunate enough to have known him, and have heard him talk. I am sure your dad's friend knew him. Take care, Glenn

Larry,

Small world!!! I was raised in El Paso, Texas but my first job as a veterinarian was in Battle Ground, WA 12 years ago. I kept a C172 at Goheen of all places. I just flew my RV-8 for the first time this month (11 year project!) and promised Dr. Dale Lake at BG Vet Hosp. a ride. I told him if he heard a plane buzz (legally) the clinic, head over to Goheen. I still live in Texas but plan to visit my favorite old grass strip again soon. If you know Dr. Lake, stop in and tell him hi for me. He makes a mean homebrew porter. You might bum a beer from him! I'll bet about 0.0001% of the readers are former Goheenians
Dennis Flosi
El Paso, TX

Don't Worry About CHT/EGT on #1

The cooling is imperfect and it is very normal for Cylinder #1 CHT and EGT to be quite a bit lower than the other cylinders. I have experimented a little with a cylinder #1 cooling air deflector for racing to raise the temp of that cylinder but even in that environment the difference in temperatures between #1 and the others is not a problem.

On the radio problem it sounds like you have a single antenna and single radio com system so you can't patch around elements and eliminate potential causes and you trouble shooting potential is limited. You can inspect the entire system for bad connections in the audio and RF sided of the radio itself especially mic and phone jacks, antennas, splitters, coax connectors, etc. If you have a low performance antenna what you have may be semi-normal. You didn't say as I recall that the performance was ever very good and suddenly decayed - this would indicate a failure of some sort rather than a basic system problem. Since you have a hand held radio and a wife, ground checks with the engine running and not running may reveal an engine related EMI problem which some of your comments hinted at. Some of these light weight "stick it in your ear" headsets have non-directional microphones that pick up all of the ambient noise and and that affects the audio quality. I got one for my wife so she wouldn't have to wear the "C-Clamp" on our long cross countries and it took some getting used to like closing the vents or holding my hand over her mic during critical transmissions. The background noise through the intercom is always there - I really appreciate it when she puts her David Clark headset on. If your audio amp is weak already this would increase the problem.

Good Luck,

Bob Axsom

Small World

Please send me a PM when you are coming so I can give you my contact info and we can get together.

I don't know Dr. Lake, but my wife and daughter take our cat to his clinic.

Dr. Lake's son Randy and my son Brett both graduated from Battle Ground HS in 2003 and were on the football team and track team at the same time.

Larry