dustman

Well Known Member
Hello folks i'm looking for sugesttions for a battery for my rv3 i have a lyc 290 in the plane any recomendations would be appreciated.

SLA or AGM is the state-O-art

Hello folks i'm looking for suggestions for a battery for my rv3 i have a lyc 290 in the plane any recommendations would be appreciated.
Ditto of above. Google: Odyssey PC680.

What kind of battery did you have? The Odyssey is a SLA battery (sealed lead acid) or more specific (AGM) (absorbed glass mat).

Flooded lead acid (FLA) or valve-regulated-lead-acid batteries (VRLA) batteries require less voltage to charge. Your regulator may be set too low for a SLA/AMG battery like the PC680.

Your RV-3 may have been set up for lower voltage like 13.6-14.1 volts for a VRLA/FLA battery? If your voltage regulator is not set for 14.2-14.7 volts (see below) you need to adjust or change your voltage regulator to get proper voltage (higher) voltage for the Odyssey. Most alternators today are set in the 14.2-14.5 volt ball park.

"Car batteries and valve-regulated-lead-acid batteries (VRLA) are typically charged to between 2.26 and 2.36V/cell (13.56v to 14.16). At 2.37V/cell (14.22v), most lead-acid batteries start to gas, causing loss of electrolyte and possible temperature increases. The exceptions are small sealed lead acid batteries (SLA), which can be charged to 2.50V/cell (15v) without adverse side effect." (15v is max, ideal is in the 14.4-14.6 volt range for SLA.)

Panasonic makes a battery just like the PC680 (size, power) and sometimes be had for less money. Folks like Sam Buchanan have used the Panasonic & found it serviceable. LINK Sam has since gone to a PC680 since. He found one for a good price. The other brands are fine, but most find the Odyssey to be a cut above. It also cost more. Try to find a local specialty battery shop (save shipping). These batteries typically go in Motorcycles (late model BMW), jet skis & snowmobiles. Van sells them for less than $100. LINK

The PC680 needs
-Fully charge: 14.2 volts to 14.7 volts.
-Anything LESS THAN 14.2 volts will not get to 100% charge
-Anything OVER 15 volts is too high
-Float (trickle) voltage: 13.6V (maintain but will not charge battery fully)

Size of PC680 - 16Ahr
L 7.27 in
W 3.11 in
H 6.67 in
Wt. 15.4 lb
5 sec. hot cranking amps (PHCA): 680 amps

PS: Does you car eat batteries?

Typical car VRLA/FLA batteries will take higher voltage and charge faster, but there's a down side, shorter life. Most car batteries are OVER-CHARGED. The down side of overcharging a VRLA/FLA is corrosion, loss of electrolyte, higher temp & shorter life. If your car goes through batteries like crazy, you may be over charging? Changing the voltage regulator or adjusting it is hard or impossible. SLA or AGM might be the way to go even for your car. Odyssey makes car sized batteries. The reason car manufactures over-charge VRLA/FLA batteries is it charges faster. Also they have to deal w/ cold temps, which does increase the required charge voltage. Battery life is sacrificed for faster charge and cold weather ops. Its that or a conspiracy of the auto/battery manufactures to make us buy more batteries. If you live in hot climates you car battery is probably over-charged.

Battery technology is changing fast with alternative energy, hybrid cars, solar and wind power, often backed up with battery banks. Lithium Ion batteries are being used in planes now, but these batteries need a protection circuit to maintain voltage and current within safe limits. That means it needs to be connected to a battery charger with special logic and control, not just to buss voltage controlled by a simple alterantor.

Last edited:
Ditto on the 680; can't believe such a small battery will spin a prop that fast. It will save you quite a bit of weight compared to about anything else.

Bob Kelly