Doug Rohrer

Well Known Member
My Concorde 25RG battery in my 9A is getting weak, and I am considering replacing it with an Odyssey PC680. However, the Odyssey is smaller. Do I need to fab/buy a different mounting bracket, or will the Osyssey fit in the old mount with a spacer of some kind to take up space? Thanks.

Do you have the battery box in the footwell? If so, you can simply tape a couple of blocks of wood or some sort of foam to your new battery so it occupies the same space as your old battery.

I made the exact switch in my B?cker. Used blocks of wood to take up the space, and still saved many pounds of weight.

I switched and fabricated an aluminum tray to center the smaller 680 ... Used the same hold down bolts and bar. :)

Where is your battery box located? Is it on the left or right side?

Here is a picture of my setup. When I built my -9 (SN 90737), I didn't know there was any other battery option but I have since seen a -9A with the large battery over on the left side.

You can order this battery box from Van's and mount it wherever you need.

I use a werker from batteries plus. Same specs as the odessey but about half the price. Only problem is the terminals would have to screw in 90 degrees off from whe my old terminals were. I simply bent up some old buss bar cut offs and made it work.

I got a PC 680 from batterymart.com a couple of weeks ago. They paid for the shipping and the battery was $116.00. I've used the Battery's Plus battery in my RV-8 and it doesn't seem to last as long as it should.

Battery

My battery is on the left side mounted on the firewall. It appears I can make some spacers to utilize the existing box and hold down clamp. Thanks for all the responses. Doug.

2 RG batteries in RG-25 space?

On a related note, since I can't get an FS-14 or SD-20 standby alternator to fit my accessory case....

Does anyone know of a battery roughly equivalent to a PC680 that will fit two in the space left by an RG-25?

PC680 looks slightly too thick based on specs.

is a PC925 an option?

If you want a backup, then I see why you want 2 for redundancy.
I went to some pains before ordering a PC925, which has a lot more crank than the RG25 for the same weight.
It fit snugly into the battery tray I have, but the terminals face the side, so that may not work for everyone.
Also, the little plastic vent lid is wimpy, and curled with the heat from the engine, causing several vent caps to pop off....so it needs to be well supported.

Battery seems to be ok after about a year in service, being flown VERY infrequently!!! ( 1/2 hour a month)