In terms of real world usage, I have seen.....

• Total voters

RatMan

Well Known Member
When I was researching all of the battery options, I used the search function here at VAF to gather information before I made my choice. If those of you with a few years of aircraft ownership would take a moment to answer this poll perhaps we could learn a bit more about the available choices.

You can make multiple choices and of course add your comments as to what batteries you have used and how they performed for you.

Last edited:
PowerSonic

PS-12350. Over the 16 years, I typically get 4-6 years. I have seen 7 years.

battery life

i have a pc 680. 2 1/2 years old live in the north east so it sees hot &cold temps.it is on its last leg. cold morning starts barely turn .

Preventative maintenance

I checked 3-4 years on the poll, but I have never had a battery fail to perform. I replace the battery in my '8' every 3 years, if it "needs it or not." The hassle of replacing a battery away from home just isn't worth it. Yes, the battery is still good, so put it in something that isn't going to cause heartburn when it does fail. A lot of garden tractors use a PC 680 size battery. A dead battery in your lawn mower sure beats being stuck on a remote airstrip with no services.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

I replace the battery every two years during the condition inspection, regardless. Since the avionics are "all electric" the battery is a very important backup.

Garden Tractor Battery

I replace my battery every two years, too cheap not too. Battery cost per year is $14.00.

??

I replace my battery every two years, too cheap not too. Battery cost per year is $14.00.

$14.00/year x 2 years = $28.00

Please let me know what battery you use, and where to find it! I have a PC-680 and felt I got a good deal at $94.00 a year and a half ago.
Thanks

$14.00/year x 2 years = $28.00

Please let me know what battery you use, and where to find it! I have a PC-680 and felt I got a good deal at $94.00 a year and a half ago.
Thanks

The topic line of his post stated "Garden Tractor Battery". No doubt he is using a wet-cell battery that is usually available at WalMart or AutoZone for $19-$25 on sale. I use one of these batteries in my kit car and am sure it would crank an O-360 just fine. The downside is it being wet-cell, so you would have to be careful with mounting and provide a way to capture any venting of electrolyte.