rwarre

Well Known Member
Upon checking my ELT, I discovered that one of the batteries had leaked and was eating away at the fuselage. I cleaned the area thoroughly with baking soda, scuffed the surface and primed with self-etching primer. It was a disappointing experience and I kick myself for not using Duracell batteries as suggested by the manufacturer. Does anyone have any further suggestions for the repair?

Just as an FYI, I change ELT 'D' cells every year regardless of what the date is on them. I have seen them start to leak as well.

Duracell

I don't trust any of them - Duracell included. Had a set of Duracells mess up a Nikon camera of mine a few years ago = expensive. Now, when I put a camera away for any length of time, I remove the batteries. Lesson learned.

Be careful with Caustic soda for clean up. It is good for steel but can corrode aluminium. It is used in the making of aluminium to dissolve the alumina out of bauxite.

Check FAA 43-13, chapter 6 for details on cleanup and treating corrosion.

Be careful with Caustic soda for clean up. It is good for steel but can corrode aluminium. It is used in the making of aluminium to dissolve the alumina out of bauxite.

Baking soda = sodium bicarbonate, negligible corrosive agent against aluminum. Recommended by the FAA for neutralizing lead-acid battery spillage.

Caustic soda = sodium hydroxide, readily dissolves aluminum .

Last edited: