hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
This is really a follow up to my post about breaking my starter. One of the several things thay may have caused my problem(s) was a weak battery.

This information is from "Skip" at Concorde. I am passing it on so that others may benefit. I do not know how much of this will generalize to other batteries. Mine is the RG-25 XC that Van's sells for the left side of the FW in the -7/7A.

In an at-rest battery,
Full Charge = 12.9 V, 75% = 12.7 V, 50% = 12.4 V

The DieHard 50/10/2 Amp charger is very useful for de-sulphating a battery; it worked well for me; it took two overnight sessions.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Electrical+Shop&pid=02871222000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Battery+Chargers+%26+Boosters&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Trickle charging maintenance is, per Skip, not recommended. He says that batteries wear out in relation to the charging cycles, not the discharging.

He also says it takes around 3 hours to fully recharge the battery, but perhaps 90% of the lost capacity is restored in a few minutes of flight after the cranking drain from starting.

He said my charging rate (Van's 60A alternator) of 14.1 to 14.2 V is ideal for this battery. Since it's internally regulated and not adjustable, I'm glad to hear it.

I made three flights yesterday and two the day before. All starting was trouble free and there were no blade stoppages while trying to start, suggesting the battery is doing much better.