Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Hey folks, it looks like it might be time for a new battery for RV-6, serial #4 (aka "Mikey". Way back when he was built, Odyssey's didn't exist, so he currently has a "Werker 12-33J" (12 volt, 33 ah) battery that fits the battery box between the rudder pedals. A PC680 won't fit in the box, or I'd put one in for fleet commonality. This is a sealed lead/acid battery that works just fine (this one lasted about five years), and I have herd that there is an easily-obtainable replacement (tractor battery?) at Walmart or the auto parts store...I'm curious if anyone has a cross-reference to it that can be locally sourced? I already know how to get something shipped - but I would like one today or tomorrow (and don't want to pay overnight shipping on a battery!).

Werker
WKA-12-33J
12V 33A AGM
Sealed, non-spillable battery

Measurements:
6-1/4? tall
7-5/8? long
5-1/16? wide

Paul,

Not sure about the local source, but the battery I use in the -6 is a Panasonic LC-R1233P, which has the same dimensions as yours and is 33 ah. I usually pay about $80 online. Maybe this will help if you can find a local outlet. :)

...also, the PowerSonic equivalent AGM is the PS-12350 for about $85, usually more commonly found locally. I think they are all probably made by the same manufacturer in China...:rolleyes:

Hmm... Tweety is a 1996 RV-6 with the battery box between the feet too. It was sized for a larger battery, but currently has a PC680 which fits in there fine. The other half of the space is taken up by my first aid kit... :p

Ah, reading Dick's post below, that explains why the PC680 works in mine. The previous owner added an angle that clamps down on the PC-680 to keep it from rising up. He had a block of closed-cell foam in there to keep the battery from moving over, but the first aid kit works just the same. At some point i'll make a new cover so the battery is held better and the first aid kit more accessible.

Last edited:
Early RV6 Battery box

Paul...

I built my rv6 which was prePC680 days. Mine has the box for the original gell cell battery which I had already built then the PC680 came on the scene so I modified my box. I used small aluminum angles riveted to the original base to prevent the smaller PC680 battery from shifting sidewise in the bigger box. Then I fabricated an aluminum strap bolted over the top of the PC680 like a hold down to keep the battery firmly on the base. The factory battery box top is slipped over the entire battery just as it would be with the original gell cell.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD
Northfield, MN

Thanks everyone - the problem with our battery box and a PC680 is actually HEIGHT, so it's a bit more difficult adaptation. Fortunately, we found out tat the "Werker" brand is actually a Batteries Plus in-house label, and while the closest store to our place here south of Friendswood is way up in Houston, there is also one just off-campus in College Station...so Louise will fly the Val to work today, pick up a new battery for Mikey, bring it home, and we can rescue Mikey from the ramp at the neighboring field....

Yeah, we could modify the battery box, but that would take time (and lots of laying upside down under the panel)!

Paul

Yeah, we could modify the battery box, but that would take time (and lots of laying upside down under the panel)!

Paul

Why laying upside down? Three pins to slide out and the box should just come out to be re-worked on the bench.

I also have a spare half-completed box if you want....:)

I changed to the firewall mount version.

Batteries Plus

I am using the Batteries Plus brand (used to be Werker) similar to what you are currently using. Dont have the exact part # with me, but I was told it is used in electric wheel chairs also. Its been doing great in my -4 for about 16 months now. Seems like I paid about $65.00.

I switched from the full sized battery to the Odyssey simply by making a couple of spacers to take up the extra space in the old-style battery box. The spacers are literally flame proof foam. They weight next to nothing and are simply taped to the new battery.

-6 builders

I switched from the full sized battery to the Odyssey simply by making a couple of spacers to take up the extra space in the old-style battery box. The spacers are literally flame proof foam. They weight next to nothing and are simply taped to the new battery.

If some of you -6 builders would have taken your time building, like me, you would have had time to incorporate some of the -7 features like an up front battery box...... I waited 14+ years to incorporate those changes. LOL

(Yes, you Kyle)

Hey folks, it looks like it might be time for a new battery for RV-6, serial #4 (aka "Mikey". Way back when he was built, Odyssey's didn't exist, so he currently has a "Werker 12-33J" (12 volt, 33 ah) battery that fits the battery box between the rudder pedals. A PC680 won't fit in the box, or I'd put one in for fleet commonality. This is a sealed lead/acid battery that works just fine (this one lasted about five years), and I have herd that there is an easily-obtainable replacement (tractor battery?) at Walmart or the auto parts store...I'm curious if anyone has a cross-reference to it that can be locally sourced? I already know how to get something shipped - but I would like one today or tomorrow (and don't want to pay overnight shipping on a battery!).

Werker
WKA-12-33J
12V 33A AGM
Sealed, non-spillable battery

Measurements:
6-1/4? tall
7-5/8? long
5-1/16? wide

Paul, did you happen to do a load test during the last annual?

If some of you -6 builders would have taken your time building, like me, you would have had time to incorporate some of the -7 features like an up front battery box.
You know, looking in my engine compartment, I really don't know where i'd put a battery. I think i'd have a hard time getting even an Oddessy ahead of the firewall.

And having done that, I haven't a clue what i'd use the extra space in the cockpit for. It's not big enough for a bar fridge or wide-screen TV... :p