mnrvdude

I'm New Here
Just throwing it out there for some advise. What's a good battery choice for an RV-8 rear installation? Don't need inverted capability but is gel still a good choice? What's a good brand? Don't want to pay top $ but want good quality.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Bob, welcome to VAF:D

(Sorry I missed your first post in the rubber duckie thread)

Good to have you here.

For my $$$ I would go with Odyssey. Many sizes to choose from, pick the one that will work for you.

I have a 925 and a 680 in the read of my 10, starts the 540 just fine on the 925 only.

The "thread" consensus

seems to be the 680. I have it installed on my ?8? and thus far it performs well. My only beef is that the charger (you must use a Odyssey charger to be compliant with?.something that demands compliance). It takes a long time to charge the battery and I suppose that?s by design to extend its life. However, I have a B&C battery in my Skybolt and I abuse the devil out of that and they last at least 5 years. So why didn?t I use the B&C? I like the footprint of the 680 better.
Don

I have had great service from the compact, Odyssey PC680. This unit is 7 years old and has been maintained with a wallmart batt maintainer. It is sealed which is nice for several reasons. It still starts my IO-360 every time, even in this winter's temps at 7 years old. I will get another one for sure.

Try these

Had 2 of these in my 8 for 5 years.
They were Panasonic 18amp then and now I use 2 of these in my RV-10, bought from the local ACE hardware store.
They work great, I don't understand why everybody thinks you have to pay $150 to get a good battery.
BTW, I changed them at 5 years not because they didn't work anymore, just because I felt better with a couple of new ones.
ref=asc_df_B001G8FY381954916

Walmart

I use the Walmart Lawn mower batteries with 280 CCA. They last 3 years and cost $26.00. They will crank my 0-360 when the temps are in the 20's with no pre-heat.