flyboy1963

Well Known Member
Ok, there are many electronics experts out there......will one of these little solar thingy's top up my battery, or maintain a charge?
...or do I need more like 5 or 15 watts? ( assuming sun ocassionally!)
I plan to attach it to my canopy cover and leave it connected to the batt, since flying a few circuits once a month in winter doesn't charge up that battery much!

thanks for any advice!

Solar panels

My 75 watt solar panel at my hangar only puts out about 4 or 5 amps at 12 (15) volts. I would get the larger one. Make sure it doesn't draw power when there is no sun....

mixed messages...but ok

....so the HF unit at 1.5 watts seems to do it eh? Their description call it a 15 watt, but also says it has a 96 foot long cord, so that's all a bit suspect! :)

Just a caveat, my unit is from Canadian tire, seems identical to other 'Blue planet' brand ones, and weighs only a few ounces....also says it's for 'indoor use'.....(how much sun is INSIDE YOUR house?) I guess the mean inside your Rec Vehicle or garage........
Anyway, I can't leave it on the glareshield.... AND use a canopy cover, so I'll risk the $10 and put it out in the elements.
After 3 months of inactivity, my battery still shows 12.9 Volts, so I hope that's enough to keep it from freezing; it hasn't gotten below about -20 C here for a short time....normal is more like -4.

Upgraded

I have just upgraded my solar charger to a 15 watt unit. I used to have a 5 watt one and it juts did not do the job in the winter months. Purpose made ones come with a diode to prevent back flow during darkness. I also bought a control unit which prevents overcharging, and can be used to power up other things......TV's etc.