sahrens

Well Known Member
There are several battery chargers on the market that say they will manage the charging process and not over charge the battery. I am hoping some of you have experience with chargers you leave connected to the aircraft while it sits waiting for the next flight.

Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Scott Ahrens
N418BG (reserved)
empennage
QB wings
fuselage in progress

Lots of prior info on this, have you tried the "search" function??

Tip, search defaults to posts from the last year, change that to "any time".

BATTERY HAWK

Scott,

Go to www.SafeAir1.com and see their battery hawk charging system. It is costs somewhere around $80.00 -/+; but is a great system. I use one on my -4 and bought another for tractor.

You set up and forget. Have a fresh battery when you want. It save me lots of aggravation when I want to fire up a farm implement. Figure it is cheaper than blood pressure medicine and broken foot when I kick a dozer track from anger at myself:eek:

Cheers,

Deal Fair
RV-4 (N34CB)
George West, TX (8T6)

I built in a small float charger and just plug the airplane in at night (using a standard extension cord and belly plug). Keeps the battery topped up and ready to go.

greg

I have a charger mounted on the firewall, open the oil door and plug it in. My only caveat is that these smart chargers will not bring a battery back from the dead... I wish mine had a switch to go into "dumb charger" mode.

H

It is generally best to use what the battery manufacturer recommends. If you use the Odyssey, I highly recommend the Oddyssey Utlimizer 12 Volt 6 A charger. It is specifically made for the Odyssey battery and won't overcharge it. Battery Mart seems to have the best price and their service is unbeatable. But, the charger doesn't seem to work on normal lead acid batteries (I tried to charge a lawn mower battery and nothing).