Two ways I know of

Method One - drill a hole, put a gourmet and feed the wire through (assuming a big #2 bigger dia cable or larger) and than install electical lug after feeding through. Blow some orange high temp goop around the hole, done.

Method Two - Are the bulkhead battery pass through terminals. You can get them from boat guys all day long.

46211-01.jpg

(part cole hersee part no : 46211, hole dia 1-17/64; LINK)

Or different style: LINK
2205-2207_182x182.jpg
2_stud_junction_block_big.jpg

(2 or 4 satellite holes depending on model, stud sizes typ 5/16" or 3/8")

Method one is light and you eliminate two connectors on a big wire and feed through terminal. Method two, the feed through terminal is pretty cool, but added cost (not much they are cheap) and bigger hole. Also some have satellite holes.

If you go with method one, hole/grommet, I'd use the bigger hole and than wrap the cable with some fire sleeve. A variation on Method One, go to Home Depot, buy a stainless steel towel bar**, cut it to make tube feed through (like see pic below). Get fire sleeve and orange high temp goop and clamp over the whole mess. You might be able to run more than just battery cable through with this set-up. You can buy a kit from safeair with all the parts for $47, LINK.

(** You can buy one of those aluminum flanges for ducting starting at 1" aircraft spruce sells ($7). Yes fire resistance is less, but if that fitting melts off in flight, you have serious problems. You could mount it on the cool side of the firewall, flange going fwd. Fire-sleeve could slip over the flange to protect it. Her is an Aeroelectric article; LINK)

FPT_Kit_Assembly_10s.jpg

It as 0.90' ID. Battery cables (just the copper) have a dia of #2-0.26", #0-0.33" not including wire insulation)

Last edited:
Mine was done via Method 1 above & has worked great since 1991. I have not tried testing it during an engine fire yet though. Thankfully. :D

Fire barrier

We just finished up my buddy's -4 and he used 3M Fire Barrier 2000 deg + to seal all the holes for cables, linkages etc.

Regards,

Maybe not the best

3M Fire Barrier 2000 deg +

I looked this material up on the 3M site. It is named 3M Fire Barrier 2000+ but I find no reference to a 2000 degree rating. Only architectural fire ratings which are way less intense than an engine fire. In fact, there is a warning about it bubbling at 140 degrees F.

I have no personal experience with this stuff, just reading the specs. Be careful.

I plan on going with method #1 and sealing the grommet, penetration and wire with Chem Seal 1900.

I am not sure that CS 1900 is any different than ordinary ProSeal, really. It might be the same product, simply tested to a higher standard and priced accordingly. I dunno, but it has the tech sheet to support it. SealPak sells it.

I am going to seal up all my firewall penetrations with the stuff and use it around the edges adhering the side skins with it too.

:) CJ