Berchmans

Well Known Member
I have not been able to find this answer in searching the forums. I am building an 8 with rear battery placement. Looking at the plans and the already placed cut outs it looks like the battery cables should run through the left side of the firewall, across the space between the forward baggage area and instrument panel, down and inside the right gear leg, through the bulkheads back to the battery tray...is this correct? Seems like a long run.

You are correct

It is a fairly long run, but there's just no shortcut to getting from the firewall back to the rear battery location! I'm installing the CCA cable from Perehelion Design to save some weight.

Van's drawing OP-10

Vans drawing OP-10 shows the cable running through the left side of the firewall, down and through the left gear tower, center section and the bulkheads back to the battery tray. The length for this #2 cable on the drawing is 126".

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Long #2

I bought the Van's wire kit intending to use the rear battery. I opted to put mine up front in the front baggage well. I did not use most of the Van's Harness total waste if you are not going to use the Vans electrical system. I can sell you the long cable $37, that includes shipping, I think Van's sells 10 feet of #2 or $43 something and that is unterminated, the lugs are on mine. If there is more from the Vans harness that you want I can work that out as well, I did not use a lot of the stuff, I only used one of the short fat wires. PM me if you are interested, Just powered up my panel last night :)

Cheers

I have not been able to find this answer in searching the forums. I am building an 8 with rear battery placement. Looking at the plans and the already placed cut outs it looks like the battery cables should run through the left side of the firewall, across the space between the forward baggage area and instrument panel, down and inside the right gear leg, through the bulkheads back to the battery tray...is this correct? Seems like a long run.

Not that heavy!

That big long #2 wire weighs only 2.4 lbs.

As other posters have said, get drawing OP-10. The wire runs down the left side.

You will be so happy with the c.g. range by putting the battery in the back, it is totally worth it.

Dear all,

I am completely confused now! Drawing 31 (unfortunately no such information on drawing 31A for RV 8a builders) clearly shows that the aft mounted battery cable runs along F-898P-L through the F-804 center main spar assembly and then along F-814 L all the way back (DWG 25). I.e. the cable runs under the floor and it runs through the mainspar center section where you have to drill additinoal holes. Even plastic bushings are mentioned in DWG 31. Being relecutant to drill holes into the main spar I asked Vans and received the following answer.

"Holes for aft battery installations are shown on DWG 11A (Michael M.: Sorry guys. No such informatioin on DWG 11A). They pass through both F-805A and 805B subassemblies (Michael M.: According to DWG 25 they do not run through but under these subassemblies). There should be NO additional holes the F-805G (Michael M.: O.K. Accepted, but were are the alternatives?). We've never done an engineering on the effects of putting in more holes, although we know builders have done it."

If the plans are correct, this simply cannot be true. The F-805 and F-806 Bulkheads clearly end above the floor.

So, is there anybody here who nows the magic trick how to run the cable through under or above the center spar assembly (F-804A-1 and F-804B-1 to be exact) without drilling holes into it? If yes, pictures please!!!!

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Michael Mueller
Frankfurt, Germany
RV 8a, QB
Eggenfellner E6 Gen 4
Wiring

Aft Battery

Take a look at the Center Section DWG 64 (1/20/06). There are four holes through the lower part of the spar center section (two on each side) usable for wiring, coax, etc.

Just use one of the inboard holes for the battery cable.

The drawing also shows the hole locations for the rudder cables, which are in slightly different locations for the 8/8A.

Good luck,

In looking at the firewall from the engine side there is a pre-punched hole in the upper right quadrant that the plans say is for routing of the battery cable. There are also several bracing members on the aft side of the firewall in this location. What type of grommet or eyeball have people used when running the cable through here. There is no way to fit the six hole steel eyeball assembly here so there must be some other options out there...