RVG8tor

Well Known Member
Well I have been planning the aft battery using the P-680 but after deciding to go with the 200RV prop I have been reconsidering the idea. I was picking up my finishing kit from Van's yesterday and caught Joe and was talking over the issues of running the #2 cable up front in the RV-8A (they want it on the left but the step support block makes that difficult).

Well Joe seemed to think I should but the battery forward, and after some discussion I think I will go that route. I would like to keep it behind the firewall so I want to put the battery on the floor of the right side in the baggage compartment well. I am looking for ideas, I am concerned about strength with such a heavy piece of equipment. My initial thought was to make a bracket that I will attach to the floor with cherry max rivets, then with nut plates attach the Odyssey battery to this bracket, with a hold down.

I would like any pictures of others who have installed the battery here, I am working with a QB, I guess I could cherry rivet a doubler in the floor area for strength but I don't think it needs that.

Also of note Joe thought the small Odyssey would have trouble cranking from the aft baggage location, anyone have in troubles in this area?

FYI: my set up is TMX-IO-360, WW200RV prop, grove wheels all around for weight savings.

Mike,

I also have a TMX-IO360 (parallel valve) and a WW200RV. My battery is in the forward baggage compartment. I'm happy with the configuration.

The battery box (hold down not pictured here) is a copy of the RV Woody design. Several people have used it with success. http://www.rvwoody.com/battbox.html It is attached to the floor with blind rivets.

I should have incorporated more strain relief into my ground wires. Right now they are supported by wires that penetrate the firewall. I haven't had issues yet, but I expect them. Don't copy that part of my install.

256150688_xeQie-L.jpg

Other side of the firewall:
361781320_aaYtE-L.jpg

Batt Buss

Guy,

Thanks for the photos, I forgot I am basically the same set up as you I should have asked you first. One question, int the first picture above the battery relay is a fuse block, is that you BATT BUSS?

Cheers

For what its worth, I used the aft location for a PC 680 which has absolutely no problem cranking the engine using no 2 wire run the full length on the right side - so away from the step location. I'm not familiar with the prop you are using but I would want o think about the CG location - mine came out at 77.77 inches aft of datum with a Hartzell CS prop and Superior IO360, total weight of 1112lbs.

I can't see any problem with having the battery in the aft location, nor with running the wire on the right side. I am happy with both decisions.

In retrospect I would have kept the area where you want to place the battery clear except for a wiring conduit. Mine has a ground block and the MAP sensors but it would have been a great place for small items of baggage.

Just a thought.

Chris

Chris

Guy,

Thanks for the photos, I forgot I am basically the same set up as you I should have asked you first. One question, int the first picture above the battery relay is a fuse block, is that you BATT BUSS?

Cheers

Yes, That's my Battery Buss.

Guy

Forward or Aft now theres the rub!

For what its worth, I used the aft location for a PC 680 which has absolutely no problem cranking the engine using no 2 wire run the full length on the right side - so away from the step location. I'm not familiar with the prop you are using but I would want o think about the CG location - mine came out at 77.77 inches aft of datum with a Hartzell CS prop and Superior IO360, total weight of 1112lbs.

I can't see any problem with having the battery in the aft location, nor with running the wire on the right side. I am happy with both decisions.

In retrospect I would have kept the area where you want to place the battery clear except for a wiring conduit. Mine has a ground block and the MAP sensors but it would have been a great place for small items of baggage.

Just a thought.

Chris

Chris

Chris all good thoughts, I think I am going with the baggage area idea, I just fear that big battery cable running though the plane could cause issues over the life of the plane, it also seems that the wiring and doing any modifications will be easier with it up front.

The WW prop is significantly lighter than the Harzel, by how much I don't know off the top of my head. I am also saving nearly 7 lbs with the light weight Grove wheels, these two issues and the fact that Joe at Van's tell me they do not have issues with the factory bird and it has the big angled valve engine and the metal prop up front. I think I would rather have to use a little ballast solo than give up baggage flying with someone.

I know what you mean about the lost baggage space. I'm thinking of adding another floor section above the battery so all will not be lost.

Cheers

Battery

"Nemo":

I mounted my PC-680 behind the rear baggage comp. and used #2 wire forward. I have the Angle Valve 200hp engine so I needed weight rearward. I've had no issues at all with that setup although the battery is over 4 years old now.

One other item; that two cubic feet of space up front will be sorely missed when your wife or significant other drags every thing but the kitchen sink for you to stuff into the airplane for that week long trip!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Just remember

"Nemo":

I mounted my PC-680 behind the rear baggage comp. and used #2 wire forward. I have the Angle Valve 200hp engine so I needed weight rearward. I've had no issues at all with that setup although the battery is over 4 years old now.

One other item; that two cubic feet of space up front will be sorely missed when your wife or significant other drags every thing but the kitchen sink for you to stuff into the airplane for that week long trip!!!!!!!!!:eek:

You never know when your going to need that spare anvil...and 5 pairs of shoes..:)

Frank..really I'm not sexist, just been married a while..:)

Nordo,

I have read that heat can shorten the life of a battery also there is not much real estate on an RV-8 firewall.

Mike,
The heat issue notwithstanding, what would you propose to put on the firewall in place of the battery? I look at my firewall, with the battery on it and can still see lots of real estate for other stuff. I guess if you were going to put in inverted oil, the tank could go there.

I haven't heard any short lived firewall battery stories either.

Sorry, I just hate to see a well thought out and well designed airplane re-engineered for no good reason.

Regards,

Great Idea

I'm placing my P680 in that little space behind in the forward baggage area as well and will fabricate a floor plate to cover the area. I'll put my ground block, MAP, TACH, Battery charger/conditioner and an emergency kit in there.

Having easy access to the battery, sensors and ground block will make panel aand wiring changes/maintenance much easier. Personally I would hate having to remove the cowl to disconnect the battery..just my preference.

Since there is no such thing as the perfectly "designed" airplane having the ability to modifify to suit our individual needs is vital...

Regards,

Ken
Plans BD-4, RV-8 Fuselage (center section)

I agree with Jon. I had the BIG battery on my last 8 on the firewall with the IO 360. NO CG problem or heat issues. I just cant see using up valuable baggage space and make more work but....
Nordo

Pack well

I agree with Jon. I had the BIG battery on my last 8 on the firewall with the IO 360. NO CG problem or heat issues. I just cant see using up valuable baggage space and make more work but....
Nordo

A good point but I don't see myself ever coming close to filling up the baggage areas even with the lost area for the battery. My wife and I travel to Europe all the time and we a carry on size bag that you can carry as a back pack or roll it on wheels. And we travel for 2 weeks this way. I could say I have her trained but she did the back packing thing through Europe and knows how to travel light. Her tip, save up the old and worn socks and underwear and then discard them as you go. Brilliant!

Cheers

My opinion, FWIW, is that ANY possibility of an unintentional electrical short in the baggage area is unacceptable. I bought an RV-8 last fall that had the ammeter shunt in the forward baggage area. What if I had a collapsable lawn chair in the baggage area and somehow the cargo shifted a little and all of a sudden it shorted across the shunt? NOT GOOD! I had decided to rewire the airplane when I bought it last fall, and when I did I relocated the shunt to FWF, which is where the battery is. In fact, a big factor in my rewiring decision was I did not like the location of the shunt. I think having terminals with high amperage across them in the baggage compartment is a BAD idea. So obviously I don't think a battery there is a good idea either. Just my opinion and YMMV. And, since you are installing a Whirlwind 200RV (same prop as I have) you don't have to worry so much about cg. With the Whirlwind, you can put the battery FWF and still have an acceptable cg. And if you're worried about battery life, just replace the $100 battery each 3 years instead of 4. No big deal.