Bushcaddy

Well Known Member
When using a 1/2" wide piece of brass or copper to connect the battery contactor to the starter contactor, how thick should the piece be? As a point of reference my drawing calls for a 4 AWG wire for this connection. It seems brass is the better choice over copper??

Thanks for the input.

Cu is the better conductor of course. I cut up some coper fittings and flattened as a matl source. Needed to be wider-maybe 3/4 in. To leave enough around the holes.

When using a 1/2" wide piece of brass or copper to connect the battery contactor to the starter contactor, how thick should the piece be? As a point of reference my drawing calls for a 4 AWG wire for this connection. It seems brass is the better choice over copper??

Thanks for the input.
The copper bar Van's provides for this is 1/2" wide by .063 thick. Two layers are required for that connection. It's shown in the wiring drawings.

Curious as to why you would not use a flattened piece of copper pipe? It is just as pure as copper buss bar and will carry the current.

How many Amps?

True..... Copper is Copper and will carry current. How much current is the flattened pipe good for? At what point will it fail? I am just a firm believer in proper engineering, especially when it comes to airplanes.

Have used flattened copper tube/pipe for a bus more than a dozen times. How can anyone make a big deal out of that? As long as it's new & clean and not full of lime (used water pipe). You can always anneal it some mo'.