bill.hutchison

Well Known Member
Whilst making some repairs during the CI, I decided to run with the new FAB airbox kit for the RV, both because my airbox/baseplate were a little worse for wear and I thought it would be a nice little project to learn some fiberglass and practice riveting skills.

If you have an A-model RV, you have to cut a piece out of the airbox to clear the nose strut, then do some layup to patch it.

So I need to get some basic fiberglass materials - nothing fancy, just enough to do this. Is there a recommended inclusive kit out there? My hangar neighbor with a LongEze suggested a boat patch kit from Amazon. Would that work? Is there something better?

After I do this, I'm going to attempt some lower-cowl repairs that I had posted about late last year, but figured this was a good way to get my feet wet, so to speak.

Thanks!

-b

Fiberglass

Whilst making some repairs during the CI, I decided to run with the new FAB airbox kit for the RV, both because my airbox/baseplate were a little worse for wear and I thought it would be a nice little project to learn some fiberglass and practice riveting skills.

If you have an A-model RV, you have to cut a piece out of the airbox to clear the nose strut, then do some layup to patch it.

So I need to get some basic fiberglass materials - nothing fancy, just enough to do this. Is there a recommended inclusive kit out there? My hangar neighbor with a LongEze suggested a boat patch kit from Amazon. Would that work? Is there something better?

After I do this, I'm going to attempt some lower-cowl repairs that I had posted about late last year, but figured this was a good way to get my feet wet, so to speak.

Thanks!

-b

This would be the VAF reference for Fiberglass work. Dan is the expert.
https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=22931

I wrote an article or two for Kitplanes. There's a list. You can adjust quantites down.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XQHglCjsu62Pha6aqjhjmUNTn1HXgUrt/view?usp=sharing