Stalldog

Well Known Member
Well, I'm sure the info is here, but I can't seem to find it in one concise location. I'm trying to find some good classes for basic building. I've seen some very good recommendations for Grov-Air and the EAA classes. Are there any others you would suggest for me and the wife? I want to get started soon on the emp kit, but I don't want to throw away $$$ during my learning process either. All I care about (I think) is the two day type of class. What did everyone else do when you started your first build? :confused:

BTW, we're located in the KC area, but I'm not opposed to traveling to attend a good class. Wife always wants an excuse for a long weekend anyway! ;)

Synergy

I went to three classes with Wally at Synergy in Eugene, OR. Probably the single best thing I did that contributed to the success of my build. Highly recommend it.

I did the SportAir RV assembly workshop. Highly recommend it for anyone like me who had never smashed a rivet or worked with aluminum. You build the practice kit that Van's sells. You will make some mistakes on it and that will hopefully prevent you from doing the same on your tail kit. I learned to slow down, read and understand the plans, then assemble/drill/deburr/etc.

SynergyAir(advertises on this site)

My wife and I went out to Oregon to attend Wally Anderson's Fundamentals of Building course and his Quick Start Empennage class at SynergyAir. No doubt in our minds that this was the most crucial step we took towards a successful build. We left with the basic skills and, more importantly, confidence in our ability to really do this.

EAA sheet metal workshop at Osh 2005 was enough for me to understand that I could do it. I remember the volunteer who taught the class. In 2009 I was a volunteer with S-n-F workshop myself, my RV was waiting for the engine. Whatever course you choose Jim all are good.

I'm doing the EAA metal building workshop in a couple weeks here in ATL. Looking forward to getting my hands dirty...

EAA workshops

I did the both the Van's RV assembly and the Sheet Metal basics class. Of the two, I recommend the Sheet Metal. It is a more complicated build and the skill set are the same. The only complaint might be that you share the construction with another person. My partner was good, so I have no complaints.

Although you have to wait until January, Oshkosh is only a 10 hour drive and you can visit the museum.

Food for thought.

Scream

http://www.sportair.com/schedule.html

Another happy synergy alum

I just wanted to agree with two previous poster's recommendation for the Synergy Air classes. I did the intro course, the intro to empennage and the quick building the quickbuild class. I personally found them invaluable.

Thanks everyone for all the good input. Looks like I can't go wrong with EAA and Synergy workshops. I'll check with wifey and see what I can get set up.

I did EAA RV assembly and Composite (In KC actually). Any good education you can get before you buy the emp and tools will be the best money you spend.

BTW, great idea taking your wife. I went to the RV class with my wife and my daughter came with me to the Composite class. Like Scream mentioned about partners, you have your own built in partner. My wife also got to see that it isn't rocket science and now she gets involved with the building sometimes. Its a lot more fun than if it was just me.

Enjoy!

Thanks everyone for all the good input. Looks like I can't go wrong with EAA and Synergy workshops. I'll check with wifey and see what I can get set up.

Jim,

I did the SportAir workshop with my wife and it was a great experience. I recommend the following to ensure you make it through the class alive:

1) Let your wife do at least 65% of the work. If you don't shoot for this percentage, it will be more like 10% her /90% you and she will be pissed. Remember you're BOTH there to learn.
2) Don't argue over technique or "what the instructor meant." At this point, neither of you have technique, nor is it likely that either of you truly understand what the instructor meant.
3) Don't worry if you or your wife "get behind" or don't finish your project in the class time provided. Remember, you'll have plenty more practice ahead of you, and it's not a race.
4) When (notice I didn't say IF) your wife or you makes a mistake in reading the instructions and does something wrong, make it a comic moment, if it was you who did it, or make it a "these darned instructions don't make sense" moment if she did it.
5) Whatever your project looks like at the end of the class, encourage your wife by doing what I did.. I suggested we both sign and date it with a Sharpie, drilled a hole in the back of it (it was a miniature wing) and it's hanging in our shop to this day, as a reminder of what a great time we had!

Have Fun!

Synergy Air

I did Synergy Air Empenage and quick build. Empanage class was best money I spent on entire project. Quickbuild was great but I could have done well without it.

Wally is a great guy and great teacher.

Jim,

I did the SportAir workshop with my wife and it was a great experience. I recommend the following to ensure you make it through the class alive:

1) Let your wife do at least 65% of the work. If you don't shoot for this percentage, it will be more like 10% her /90% you and she will be pissed. Remember you're BOTH there to learn.
2) Don't argue over technique or "what the instructor meant." At this point, neither of you have technique, nor is it likely that either of you truly understand what the instructor meant.
3) Don't worry if you or your wife "get behind" or don't finish your project in the class time provided. Remember, you'll have plenty more practice ahead of you, and it's not a race.
4) When (notice I didn't say IF) your wife or you makes a mistake in reading the instructions and does something wrong, make it a comic moment, if it was you who did it, or make it a "these darned instructions don't make sense" moment if she did it.
5) Whatever your project looks like at the end of the class, encourage your wife by doing what I did.. I suggested we both sign and date it with a Sharpie, drilled a hole in the back of it (it was a miniature wing) and it's hanging in our shop to this day, as a reminder of what a great time we had!

Have Fun!

:D Mike, that cracks me up! Spoken like someone who has been married a long time and plans to stay that way (and to the same lady). Good points -- hadn't even thought of these things, but you are 1 million percent correct. Thanks for the heads up! ;)

I did Synergy Air Empenage and quick build. Empanage class was best money I spent on entire project. Quickbuild was great but I could have done well without it.

Wally is a great guy and great teacher.

Thanks for the QB input, Paul. I wasn't planning on going the QB route, since I figure the buiild is a lot of the experience, but good to hear it first hand. Now if I was flush with cash and in a REAL hurry, that might be different! :rolleyes: