JDanno

Well Known Member
First off I want to say that I really do not like to call up a vender and complain about a product or even discuss a problem I'm having. Just a quirk of mine, I'm sure. BPE is the exception. I've been having some fuel flow issues with my IO-540 I purchased from BPE last May. When I finally called and talked to Rhonda and Alan they immediately located a new fuel pump and shipped it right out to me. Got it in the mail four days after calling. It even was totally covered under warranty. Every time I have called they have been really cheerful and great to deal with. It's actually a pleasure to talk to them. :)
How does the engine run? Unfreakin' believable! This thing has power and smoothness. Everybody at my airport always comments on how "different" it sounds compared to the other similar engines. I am one happy customer!

I concur with Dan's comments about Rhonda and Alan. I had a question from a potential client about something on one of BPE's engines. Since I wasn't that familiar with the way they did things, I emailed Rhonda, and got an IMMEDIATE reply. I had heard about their engines, and if their engines are like their customer service, then their customers are getting an awesome package! I plan on spending some time with them at Sun N Fun!
Tom

Tom,

I highly recommend spending time with both Allen and Rhonda. I'm probably going to get I told you so (or slapped upside my head), the next time I see Rhonda, but I regret not buying my engine from BPE.

I procrasted in buying my engine. Being layed off has that effect on the build. During this time, is why Lycoming started playing games with the various kit builders and BPE no longer could sell new Lycoming IO-540 engines.

Partly due to economics (it was a little cheaper) and the thought that if I ever did sell my RV-10, I thought having a new factory engine would be more marketable.

The first issues was the whole ordeal with Van's changing the ring gear and causing alignment issues with the alternator. Thanks to Lycoming and Plane Power, I was able to work through that issue, but it was a hassle to go through.

Then I had a fuel pump that was DOA or died during the first flight. Then I learned the joy of dealing with a warranty claim with Lycoming. First, you have to pay cash up front to a Lycoming distributor for the part. Then you send the failed part back to the distributor and submit the warranty claim paperwork to the distributor as well. Then they coordinate with Lycoming the reimbursement. It took me almost 120 days to get my warranty claim processed and reimbursed.

Had I know then what I know now, I would have gone through with purchasing a rebuilt engine from BPE. A neighbor used BPE to inspect and rebuild an engine he bought. He had a very pleasant experience with BPE. All the folks at BPE go out of their way to provide great service and support.

bob

So the engines that BPE sells are rebuilt and not new right? I am in the research phase now and it will be a few years before its engine buying time for me.

I was thinking they sold "Zero Time" engines. Is there a difference between Zero Time engines, new engines and rebuilt engines?

When you log the engine time on one of BPE engines, does the time begin at 0 or does it begin from the actual manufactur date of the engine

BPE will sell you new engines.

If you want an IO540 however they no longer have a kit to build from new, unless you want to pay spare parts prices.

They can still get 320/360 kits. Superior or ECI still do these. Same for other engine shops like BPE.

Couldn't agree more

Dan, I feel the same way.... As you know, my 540 is next in line at Barret waiting for me to give the go ahead to proceed to build up the core. We're doing EFII Ignition and Electronic Fuel Injection... Gaylon Koening's 540 just left BPE a few days ago after dynoing out at 301hp!
Last year at KOSH , we decided on Wed that we were going to build a 10. We had 48 hours to research. Firs thing was engines. We met with a couple guys who had great things to say about BPE. So, Friday of KOSH, last day we were there, we went and met with Allan and Rhonda. We knew right then, they were going to build our engine.
Since we're building our project in SW Missouri, on one of my flights out, I flew into Tulsa so we could see their shop and see first hand what happens on the engine build. Seeing the dyno test cell,and getting to understand that it's a real one-at-a-time family type operation solidified it for us. Since then, of course, we've had tons of questions in prepping and planning and Allan & Rhonda are always amazing and happy to help. I'm looking forward to this summer when we hang our engine and even more to the fall when I get to hear it roar to life....

:)

So the engines that BPE sells are rebuilt and not new right? I am in the research phase now and it will be a few years before its engine buying time for me.

I was thinking they sold "Zero Time" engines. Is there a difference between Zero Time engines, new engines and rebuilt engines?

When you log the engine time on one of BPE engines, does the time begin at 0 or does it begin from the actual manufactur date of the engine

My understanding is that the engine will start at '0'. It's a used case but the log book they sent starts with zero hours. It is balanced and 'blueprinted' as they use to say. You can really hear the difference. BPE engines sound really smooth.

Sounds like I had the same luck with Lycoming fuel pumps. At least Rhonda at BPE took care of the warranty. That is big deal for me!

Tom,

I highly recommend spending time with both Allen and Rhonda. I'm probably going to get I told you so (or slapped upside my head), the next time I see Rhonda, but I regret not buying my engine from BPE.

I procrasted in buying my engine. Being layed off has that effect on the build. During this time, is why Lycoming started playing games with the various kit builders and BPE no longer could sell new Lycoming IO-540 engines.

Partly due to economics (it was a little cheaper) and the thought that if I ever did sell my RV-10, I thought having a new factory engine would be more marketable.

The first issues was the whole ordeal with Van's changing the ring gear and causing alignment issues with the alternator. Thanks to Lycoming and Plane Power, I was able to work through that issue, but it was a hassle to go through.

Then I had a fuel pump that was DOA or died during the first flight. Then I learned the joy of dealing with a warranty claim with Lycoming. First, you have to pay cash up front to a Lycoming distributor for the part. Then you send the failed part back to the distributor and submit the warranty claim paperwork to the distributor as well. Then they coordinate with Lycoming the reimbursement. It took me almost 120 days to get my warranty claim processed and reimbursed.

Had I know then what I know now, I would have gone through with purchasing a rebuilt engine from BPE. A neighbor used BPE to inspect and rebuild an engine he bought. He had a very pleasant experience with BPE. All the folks at BPE go out of their way to provide great service and support.

bob

Confusing engine times

Thanks for all the kindness folks. Let me just clarify the engine times a little bit. Only the factories can call an engines '0 time'. They write the rules for everybody. All other engine shops if using components that have been previously in service do not have the option. By the rules if we overhaul a core engine it is classified as a OTSMO (zero time since major overhaul). Time still starts at zero though.

Hope this helps,

Allen

Allen,
I guess my question is, the engines you guys sell are complete rebuilds that have been totally worked over, and (from what I have read) outperform a stock "new zero time" engine, right? I would probably be buying the engine outright without a core.

I have been thinking of a IO-390 and even the IO-375 but still have a long time to decide.

Side question: When's the website getting finished :)

Lynn, All 540 engines we sell currently are overhauled to factory new clearance limits and are OTSMO. Every component is inspected and repaired or replaced with new if they do not meet new limits criteria.

Four cylinder engine offer several options. If you have an existing core already we can overhaul it to the same standards as the 540's. But if you don't have a core, then you are money ahead having us build you an engine from a new Superior or ECI engine kit. Still the same standards apply.

Without going into details here, yes we can tweak the engines to enhance their performance and reliability.

Rhonda is swamped in the office but she is working with someone to get the website updated.

You might have a look at the Superior XP400. That is a NICE engine package!

Last edited:
Lynn, All 540 engines we sell currently are overhauled to factory new clearance limits and are OTSMO. Every component is inspected and repaired or replaced with new if they do not meet new limits criteria.

Four cylinder engine offer several options. If you have an existing core already we can overhaul it to the same standards as the 540's. But if you don't have a core, then you are money ahead having us build you an engine from a new Superior or ECI engine kit. Still the same standards apply.

Without going into details here, yes we can tweak the engines to enhance their performance and reliability.

Rhonda is swamped in the office but she is working with someone to get the website updated.

You might have a look at the Superior XP400. That is a NICE engine package!

Thanks for the replies. I will keep the XP400 on my radar, now that you have me drouling over it.