G'Day.

Just wondering if anyone has (or knows if its possible) to conduct banner towing operations with an RV (esp an RV8).

I was having a chat with a buddy of mine and we got onto this topic (long story) and neither of us had an answer.

Its very likely that your op lims SPECIFICALLY prohibit this.
Read em carefully. Modern ones definately have this restriction.

Kahuna's right.....under FAA rules, the Ops Limits prohibit it....but it looks like Andy is from Australia - do they have rules over there?

We've got a banner towing operation at our field, and just watching what they put their planes through, I sure wouldn't want to subject my baby to it....

its fun to watch

its fun to watch the banner tow guys, looks like there gonna rip the wings right off on pick up.

Even if you can manage to tow banners legally, an RV would not be a very good banner tow plane. Banners are expensive, and the faster you tow them, the quicker they wear out.

Pat

No

I have friends who use Super Cubs and J-3s. You pull a lot of power and fly slow with high cylinder temps and lousy cooling, plus you have to install a release mechanism to drop the banner..........very hard on engines.
Regards,

Pulling banners is all about picking up a lot of weight and going slow with it. While RVs are reported to have excellent slow flight manners, they're not exactly the plane that comes to mind I think about going slow.

The supercub I towed in had an O-360 in it, 80" cllimb prop (with oversize tires to match) and about two extra feet on the end of each wing. It also had a second oil cooler on the belly to help keep temps under control. I could pick up a house in that plane and pull it for six hours without stopping but it was a much different aircraft from an RV8.