In building my sons 10 and now the 12 we use a scroll saw to cut apart the various parts. This doesn't work very well and I wonder if anyone uses a cheap bandsaw. I see the speed as a problem (2200 fpm) and the courser blade availability (15 to 18 TPI). If these are not problems or if it is what do you use?

I am using a cheap one that I bought at Lowe's or Home Depot (can't remember which) for around $100. I spent an extra $15 to get a metal cutting blade and it really works well. I am going to put the wood blade back on tomorrow to cut pieces for the wing stands since the wing kit should be here this week!

Hey "Hammer",
I tried the scroll saw also. Huge risk of putting untended bends in your sheet metal due to the combination of blade binding and reciprocating motion.

I bought a $99 band saw at Home Depot (also a drill press) and the finest blade I could find, sorry I don't recall the tooth pitch.

These things are some of the best Tool $$ I've spent!

BTW, we visit Park City regularly as my mother and brother live there. I've like to pay you a visit next time out, probably early September?

Best,
Dave.

Bandsaw

I use the bandsaw attachment on my Shopsmith and it cuts aluminum like butter...blades used are typically 1/8" to 1/4" with tpi in the same range you describe.

Other guys in the area are using table models of various brands; all seem to work fine. I'd pick one based on blade availability in your area/buy one from a store that stocks replacements. Blade life varies with the thickness of the stock you're cutting.

Good luck,
Mike

Bandsaw

They are all correct. As you move through the project you will find more and more opportunities for the use of a decent bandsaw. A big part of your time savings in any project is the use of a bandsaw and appropriate blade.

Last edited:
Band saw-----yes.

Look for one that takes standard size blades------not a proprietary length blade that you cant find easily.

Been there.....:(

Use a wood cutting blade

Below are two links to EAA Hints for Homebuilders related to cutting aluminum on a bandsaw. Both of these craftsmen recommend using a wood cutting blade to cut aluminum. The reason is that a wood cutting blade does not clog up as easily as a fine tooth metal cutting blade. Before watching these videos, I passed up a good deal on a used wood cutting bandsaw because I thought it had the wrong blade and did not know if metal cutting blades were available. I eventually bought another wood cutting bandsaw and it cuts aluminum easily.
Joe

http://www.eaa.org/video/homebuilders.html?videoId=27108871001

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1431564069/bclid1432790122/bctid1599932073

I have built my entire kit without a bandsaw, except for my neighbor's horizontal bandsaw, which I have used on occasion. If there is one tool I would buy before building again, it would be a band saw.

I have a Delta with a 9" throat using a 18 tpi x 59.5 inch metal blade. It worked great building my -10 but, if I was to buy another one I think there are several available with a 12" throat. It would have been easier to cut a few of the parts that were a bit longer. The precision of these smaller band saws depends on how well you set them up with tracking and tension and understanding the offset angle of the teeth makes the blade run at an offset angle as it cuts. You have to align the line a few degress off dead straight in. Once you figure it out they cut like a dream.

A hook-tooth wood cutting blade works just fine for aluminum. Save the metal-cutting blades for steel. Also, a power miter saw with a fine-toothed carbide-tipped blade is dandy for cutting bar stock (NOT for thin sheet). A bit noisy though (wear your hearing protectors and safety glasses!)

Last edited:
Glad I bought a band saw!

I've been using a Rigid 14" Band Saw from Home Depot with a Delta 28-064 24 teeth per inch blade. Use it more than I ever dreamed I would.

sander too

And don't forget to get a stationary sander too - you'll love it when you have to fabricate a part out of raw angle/bar/whatever. (Basic shape is cut with bandsaw, then final shape with sander).