dspender

Well Known Member
Patron
I have a 14 inch Jet bandsaw with woodworking blades. I plan to use it for my RV project to cut metal. I presume I need to use metal cutting blades. Can I use this bandsaw to cut metal? Where do you buy your metal cutting bandsaw blades?

Yes, you can use it to cut metal. I have an inexpensive band saw that works fine... Depends on the actual length of the blade, but most of the big box stores will carry what you need.

I like MSC (www.mscdirect.com), Lenox bimetal 14-18.

You need to slow the blade speed as much as possible. Most of the wood saws run too fast for general purpose metal work, although you maybe fine with sheet aluminum. Look for a reducer sheave to install between the existing motor and blade wheel sheaves.

Band saw...

15 teeth per inch. 1/4 inch stays straight

Do a Google search of the model number of your band saw. You will see blades for sale.

The band saw is one of the best tools in the shop (aside from tungsten bucking bars!)

BUT:
I never cut steel and aluminum with the same blade. I don't want steel particles in the aluminum. Is this just superstitious behavior?

CC

Wood blades cut aluminum better than metal blades, I've found slower is not better at all for aluminum, steel is slow and very fine tooth

14tpi is best, 18-20tpi gets full fast and wanders on my saw

I opted for a Lenox bimetal 18TPI 3/4". This lets me tighten the blade up for very straight cuts. I fabricated a wider top out of MDF and cut a track for the angle gauge from my table saw. I clamp a framer's T- square when needed.

Lots of options. While I was waiting I cleaned away the sawdust and tried my Jet with a woodworking blade. I would guess it was about 8tpi. It cut 1/16 inch angle aluminum easily. I will take all of your thoughts into consideration as I purchase blades.

Your bandsaw will be a very handy tool. I'm using a 6 1/2 tpi wood blade and it cuts aluminum very fast but a little rough. I use a 12" sanding disk to smooth things, with an old 120 grit disk on it.

I wouldn't go coarser than my 6 1/2 tpi blade, but it sure does cut. I expect my next one will be finer.

Dave

I bought the Lenox DM blade 10/14 TPI, all I can say is WoW! Varied TPI, I first had it on the slow pulley (Grizzly 555LX) and no problem, so I put it back on the fast pulley, this cuts thick and sheet aluminum like butter, it also cut the steel seat belt anchors no problem.

Make sure you lube the blade before cutting, the blade will last a lot longer and will cut much easier. I usually just take one of the wife's candles and run it along each side of the blade for a few seconds.

I ended up ended my bandsaw for "cutting stock" - aka primary cuts of raw material. This meant nice straight lines. I went with a 3/4" wide blade and fabricated a better top for my saw ...

Last edited: