selhardt

Well Known Member
I have temporarily installed a blocker in front of the oil cooler as the temps in Minnesota have dropped. For me blocking the rear of the cooler was not effective.

I'm looking at whether to install Vans shutter (I've read the posts and done my homework on this one).

Nearly all of the oil temperature threads contain a reference to Larry Vettermans solution of installing a ball valve in the line to the oil cooler, but I don't see any evidence of anyone flying who has done it and reported results.

See post #8 here

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=66901&highlight=vetterman+oil+temperature

So has anyone implemented this? If so what is the outcome?

I did this earlier this year, after talking to Larry about it. It works perfectly for me; I can control the oil temperature to within a degree or two. The potential downside is that I have to actively manage oil temperature; it would be easy to send it past redline through inattention. I set the engine monitor to flash at 225? as a warning.

I haven't yet flown it in January so can't say how effective it will be in really cold weather.