JBPILOT

Well Known Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppJY-ZjknNo

I bought some DESSER re-treads and installed them yesterday. I let them set over night to help assure uniform size. This morning I put them on my motorcylce balancing machine. They took a fair amount of self-adhesive weights to get fairly decent. I always spin them up to see how they actually do after basic balancing. The balancer is sitting on a concrete floor, so you can hear very well how much vibration is there. When I put my hand on the one end, it quiets it down quite a bit. Very little vibration. I use an old angle grinder with a wool bonnet to spin up the wheel. This method works decent. Before balancing, the balancer would start walking around on the floor and I was affraid the wheel would jump off.

John Bender
362.3 hours.

I purchased and used the same wheel balancer from HF before I mounted and installed the tires and wheels on my -10. I was very surprised at how much weight it took to get them balanced but like your video shows, they really are smooth running when balanced out. I can only imagine how the vibration would feel in the cabin with unbalanced tires.

Balancing Tires

John and 9GT --

Were the two "centering cones" that come standard with the HF balancing device suitable for use with the MATCO RV-12 wheels or did you have to make special centering cones?

-- David

The cones that came with mine barely fit the bearings on the -10 wheels so I turned some larger cones on my lathe.

Test Report - -

Excellent flying in Iowa this morning. Airport did a great job as usual clearing off snow. Only a few ice patches left. About 32 degrees, but light winds. I intentionally only pulled the front wheel off an inch or two to let more speed build before lift off. Did not feel the slightest vibration, so I feel my balancing did what I hoped it would.

John Bender
365.3 hours