LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
I have the same problem that Dan Checkoway had in fitting the tunnel cover in the baggage compartment. The thing is too long -- another case where the predrilled holes really gum things up and a rare display of imprecision from Van's.

I guess I could tuck the flange behind the baggage bulkhead, but that would seem to defeat the purpose of quick and easy access to remove the tunnel cover; you'd have to remove the bulkhead first -- not impossible, but still....work.

I'm thinking of just making a new tunnel cover and using a strap duplicator to get the holes correct on the bagge floor ribs.

Seems to me I've got some wing walk material left over that would work.

Has anyone tried this?

Bob Collins said:
I guess I could tuck the flange behind the baggage bulkhead, but that would seem to defeat the purpose of quick and easy access to remove the tunnel cover; you'd have to remove the bulkhead first -- not impossible, but still....work.

I just put the lip behind the baggage bulkhead. It seems to handle 99% of the cases: Think about when you'd want to remove that tunnel cover - it really only provides access to the middle of the elevator pushrod.

The only time I can see needing access to that pushrod is for the annual inspection. For that inspection the baggage wall will have to come out anyway to inspect/lubricate the ends of the pushrods.

Besides, with the tunnel cover lip behind the baggage wall it looks a little tidier. :D

Kevin
RV-7A, 50ish hours

Tunnel Cover

All I did was oversize the holes and use the #8 screws with a washer. This way I could install it as per the plans. All the holes are symentrical and aesthetics are good.

Ron Davis