rv8ch

Well Known Member
Patron
What are you guys using for baggage tiedown rings? I found these at Van's and Aircraft Spruce:

catmedtiedown9aa.jpg

They are beautiful, but they seem a bit expensive ($26/each) for what they are doing. Anyone have a better option?

Interchangeable with the ones from Van's?

PJSeipel said:
I've got four of the Van's ones, but now I wish I had asked here first. These ones look very nice, and the price is a lot friendlier too.

I wonder if the removable part from Van's is compatible with these bases. I'd like a few more bases, so I can move the rings around depending on the shape of what I am tieing down.

The round disk on the ones from Van's is about 0.732" diameter. The rest of the removable part is 0.635" wide. How do these dimensions compare?

Standrard Item

These all look to be the same configuration we used in the Air Cargo operation. All carriers air and ground use a common product and all are interchangable.

Installation direction

pmercier said:
These all look to be the same configuration we used in the Air Cargo operation. All carriers air and ground use a common product and all are interchangable.
Philip, When we install these, is there a preferred direction for the slot, like forward/aft or side to side? Thanks!

Hi Mickey

I found that this commercial type of tiedown is too large for our small baggage compartments. I ended up cutting short pieces of 3/4 inch angle with a hole for #8 screw on bottom and larger hole for rope/bungie cord on the vertical side, round the corners. Price was right and they can go on any location in compartment that has a screw.

I have two of the quick release type, (similiar to, but not exactly same as Vans) with a webbed strap & ratchet. Sell for $10 plus shipping.These are not new but good condition and strap is blue grey.

George

rv8ch said:
Philip, When we install these, is there a preferred direction for the slot, like forward/aft or side to side? Thanks!

It's best to install so that tension is longitudenal, that is tension should be inline with the slot.

Using them

:confused: I would be interested to know how many people with flying RV's are really using the tie downs? It has been my experience that 9 times out of 10, nothing gets tied down. I have my doubts that in heavy turbulence a suitcase that will fit in our baggage compartment could possibly find its way over the seat to cause a problem. Seems like it is unlikely you would need to use them,

Stewart

7pilot said:
:confused: I would be interested to know how many people with flying RV's are really using the tie downs? It has been my experience that 9 times out of 10, nothing gets tied down. I have my doubts that in heavy turbulence a suitcase that will fit in our baggage compartment could possibly find its way over the seat to cause a problem. Seems like it is unlikely you would need to use them

I only use them to strap down my toolbox and 'misc stuff' backpack. As I'm still learning my acro, it's useful for when I botch something and end up with some smallish negative G.

7pilot said:
:confused: I would be interested to know how many people with flying RV's are really using the tie downs? It has been my experience that 9 times out of 10, nothing gets tied down. I have my doubts that in heavy turbulence a suitcase that will fit in our baggage compartment could possibly find its way over the seat to cause a problem. Seems like it is unlikely you would need to use them,
They will be useful when doing aft CG flight testing, as you will need ballast to achieve the aft CG. I don't want the ballast just floating around as I am testing stalls and spins. I know some people don't do aft CG flight testing, but that means that the first time you fly with aft CG is probably with a passenger on board. If the airplane has any tricks to show me, I want to find them when I am solo, and doing the tests at a safe altitude, rather than be surprised later.

Also, if I ever carry any heavy items, I want them tied down, in case of an off-field landing. I don't want a heavy item hitting me in the back of the head.

Tie downs

Thanks for the info. We ordered some of the $7.95 variety. Today got our -8 up on the gear and it surely looks good! Van is right - it's tall. Bill