N941WR

Legacy Member
Van's has these very nice tie down's for $25 each. Since I plan on using four of them I feel that $100 is a bit much.

Are there any other tie down's you would recommend?

Thanks for the help!

Go to the aviation department at Ace Hardware and buy four picture hanging clips, the kind you screw into a picture frame that has a loop for the nail. Either rivet them or screw them to the sides of the baggage panels and hook bungee cords to them. They work great and cost you less than a dollar.

Has anyone heard anything about Experimental Aero's baggage clips? They're still listed as "under development" on their website, but they look slick. Not sure about cost....hopefully less than the DRDT :D

Fwd

I have the Vans tie downs. Good, but not cheap.
I have since seen the same system, but with rails not buttons, (Same as they us in Commercial Aircraft Baggage compartments) at a FWD Accessory Website for a fraction of the price.
Now I saw thgem here in Aus. where I live; but you have far more vendors across the Big Pond (the one that discourages me from flying to Oshkosh) so suggest you do a search of FWD sites.
Pete.

Thanks for the tips!

With a little searching I found this track system for $64.95, which includes 2-4' tracks 4-single stud rings. You can buy additional tie down rings from them for $4.95 each.

Simple math tells me that I can buy two 24" strips of S track for $11.95 each plus four tie down rings for $4.95 and come out way ahead.

Or you could get these tie downs like Van's for $13 each.

After these are installed I plan on going to the junk yard and picking up a cargo net to hold my "stuff" in place.

You know you could do it yourself

This is a very simple problem to solve given that there are already scews available in the bagage area that can be used to anchor the security system to the airframe. Make four two hole tabs (one hole for the screw and one for the securing medium (bungee perhaps), install them at four locations or more put in your bagage and connect the straps. You could even use auto seat belts ans anchors if you like. The options are many.

Bob Axsom

Experimental Aero Update

FYI

Robby,

I have not continued to purse the development of the tie down due to the excess costs. Sorry.

Sincerely,

Paul Merems
ExperimentalAero

----- Original Message -----

To: [email protected]

Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2006 10:26 PM

Subject: Baggage Tie Down Availability

When will they be ready?

Thank you,
?
Robby Knox
FYI

I put four 1/4" nutplates under the baggage floor, roughly in the corners. The tie downs are nothing more than a -4 screw, a short piece of tubing and a large washer. This sort of makes a "tee" shape with respect to the floor. I swiped the baggage net from a Taurus or Sable station wagon, and I'm happy with how it works. There is a drawstring all around it, with a little tightening mechanism. I keep my tool pouch and other misc. stuff under it.

Alex

I used these rope loops I got from the local marine hardware store. I bought a small one (don't know the exact size, but you can fit only a finger throught it when installed) in stainless steel. Installed two nuplates (#8)underneath them. This website call them "pad eyes". www.jamestowndistributors.com

Last edited:
I found these at Home Depot

20020901_baggage_1.jpg

They're secured with 1/4" nut plates. I don't remember what these things are called, but they have a 1/4" hole that's perfect for attaching a bungie cord. I think I paid $1.25 apiece.