William Slaughter

Well Known Member
Hi all, I'm trying to finish up the aft baggage hold, and need to do whatever I'm going to do about tie downs. I have some of the nice aluminum tie downs from Van's and so far I'm planning to just put one in each corner of the floor, screwed to a doubler mounted on the underside of the floor. If so, how big and thick a doubler? Experiences, tips, or alternate suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

The Aussie way

William,
I merely put nutplates in the floor under the floor ribs to carry the load.
If you only want to restrain them against turbulence I doubt you would see more than 1/2G.

Pete.

Thanks Pete, but on the 8 the only two floor ribs run down the middle of the baggage hold floor, on average only about 6-8 inches apart. I'm pretty sure I want the tie down points out more toward the edges.

I went to home depot and got some tiedowns that are designed to go in pick up truck beds. They were pretty easy to install. They are designed to be put in after the fact. You cut the hole from above, put in a smaller doubler in and then put the tiedown in.

Are you related to William Slaughter that went to Texas A&m in the '80's?

Last edited:
Todd and tannerav8,
I already have my tie-downs, just looking for experiences of those who've already installed tie downs one way or another.

Todd,
Nope, Rice in the 70's.

tannerav8,
I haven't seen them is person, but all the reports I've heard about the Pit Posse stuff were quite positive.

Everybody else,
So you're just letting all your stuff bounce around in there loose? :rolleyes:

William, My answer is "Yup, I just let it bounce around back there." Same thing for the front baggage compartment. I do tend to organize things to prevent sliding around as much as possible. In 3.5 years of flying, I've never notice any significant movement of the stuff I put in either baggage compartment.

I actually made a cover for the lower portion of the forward baggage compartment. My thought was that I might want to carry a small tool kit and didn't want it to bang around if I did a roll. The cover was installed with several 1/4 turn fasteners. Since first flight, I haven't found a need for the cover and haven't used it.

Karl

I used the pitposse ones. I just riveted a piece of .063 angle under the floor with some nutplates on it and screwed the tiedowns to it. I think the angle was like 4"-6" long or so.

PJ
RV-10 #40032

William Slaughter said:
Hi all, I'm trying to finish up the aft baggage hold, and need to do whatever I'm going to do about tie downs. I have some of the nice aluminum tie downs from Van's and so far I'm planning to just put one in each corner of the floor, screwed to a doubler mounted on the underside of the floor. If so, how big and thick a doubler? Experiences, tips, or alternate suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
As much as possible, I tend to use FAR 23 as guidance when making decisions like this. There is no requirement to meet FAR 23 requirements, but they provide a very good baseline to measure against. FAR 23.787 calls for provisions to ensure that aft baggage does not create a hazard to the occupants if it is subjected to up to 18g of forward loading.

To be honest, I don't see any practical way to get much strength from a baggage tie down mount, unless it is mounted to the floor ribs. It doesn't matter how big a doubler you put on the baggage floor - it'll just fold up if it is subjected to significant loads.

Yes, the baggage floor ribs are fairly close together at the front. But, the whole point is to ensure that the luggage doesn't come forward. Tie downs on the floor ribs should do the job.