Yep, wiring.

The best advice I was given while building was, "Do not rivet anything on until you absolutly have to."

If you can work around not having that floor riveted in place, do so.

One other suggestion I just received from the builder of Murphy Super Rebel was to use Rhino Liner on the baggage compartment floor in place of carpet. Now that I'm flying, I might just tape everything off back there and do just that.

Bag floor riveting

You may want to consider running wires under the floor area.So before final riveting in place; think about what goes thru that area. The elevator pushrod tunnel gets tight when your running wires,etc. thru that area.:)

I just finished this area, and made some floor access hatches for strobe power supply in one and spare parts, etc. in the other. They also allow me to pull wire if needed, but after looking at the center tunnel, it won't be hard to run everything there and use Adel type clamps to keep everything clear of the pushrod.
p1030950nu6.jpg

I just finished this area, and made some floor access hatches for strobe power supply in one and spare parts, etc. in the other. They also allow me to pull wire if needed, but after looking at the center tunnel, it won't be hard to run everything there and use Adel type clamps to keep everything clear of the pushrod.

Personally, I feel better about keeping the tunnel clear of everything but the pushrod. I know of a Yak aerobatic plane that suffered a locked elevator while climbing vertical, because a wayward nut lodging between a rear bulkhead opening and the bellcrank.

In my six, I ran some of that flexible ribbed conduit through both baggage sides, and then riveted them closed.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Hey Bill....you might want to consider using Ray Allen's wing walk for you baggage compartment....nice and rubbery, flexible and easy to work with. I used it for floor panels in my -4....works well.

Glenn Wilkinson

In my six, I ran some of that flexible ribbed conduit through both baggage sides, and then riveted them closed.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Larry,

Where did you end the conduit going forward? Did you run any wires thru the spar or bring them around the sides and over the spar? Thanks,

That is a bothersome area

It is a good area to run conduit through for wiring. I closed mine up and had no problems. but I did a lot of careful work later to run all of the wires and coaxs throught the tunnel as long as you secure every thing properly well clear of the pushrod they can co-exist in there. If you are going to install external steps you need access to that area to mount the plastic blocks and torsion bolts. I modified my plane later to make the steps removable and had to cut access holes in the baggage floor. I now have removable panels in those areas. Other than that I don't know of a reason not to complete the work while you are focused on that assembly. If you leave loose ends you have to have a way to assure you go back get yourself up to speed and do the job completely and correctly. An itemized clean-up list with a full accounting closure mechanism for open items will work - this works for mistakes that have to be corrected as well. A system I have used involves 4 columns, a narrow one for the item number, a wide one for the discrepancy, a wide one for the corrective action and finally a narrow column for closure initials.

Bob Axsom

Larry,

Where did you end the conduit going forward? Did you run any wires thru the spar or bring them around the sides and over the spar? Thanks,

As I remember, the conduits end under the seat pans. My right seat pan is removeable. I have wires that run through the left spar trim cable hole, and another hole was cut on the right side. Both spars are notched to slide over the wires. This is common practice for the six. You need to make sure that the fore and aft joystick movement misses these conduits.

However, I did require some more wiring for stick trims and the auto-pilot. These wires do run through a grommet on the edges of the forward angled seat pans, and over the spars. These are contained in a smaller diameter flex conduit. The seats cover these.

But is doesn't end. Under the left seat, I ended up cutting an oval access panel to fish the ELT cable through. The cover is attached with nutplates to maintain structure strength.

I have a wire junction box under the left seat.

Just looked up some pics, and here is one. The wires that run to the wings got conduit around them too.

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/3639/dsc00979redho4.jpg

L.Adamson -- RV6A