ninerhawk

I'm looking for examples of how builders have hinged compartment covers into the baggage floor, used with Hartwell latch(s) for example. I'm thinking storage for a quart of oil, tools, etc. Any recommendations/concerns on size?

I'm aware of some using platenuts and covers for strobe, ELT, etc. Anybody have any URL's?

Howard Kaney
RV-9A
Wisconsin

Take a look at my Web site, under "Odds and Ends". I haven't installed the latch yet (haven't found a small enough Hartwell latch.)

Just some piano hinge and a big hole.

Here is my door. I want to use wing nuts that have folding wings on them for the screws, if I can find them. Otherwise they will use the standard 8-32 screws.

I'm thinking of mounting the power supply for the strobe on the left side but mount the unit to the door rather than the rib like I did with the ELT.

Just remember, you don't want things bouncing around on top of the skin.

A few issues back in the RVator some guy made a cool triangular "box" to put behind the seats for tool and oil storage. Also, I think Dan put a storage compartment under his floor.

Yup, Bill's is the one I'm modeling mine on. Let us know if you find some folding wing screws.

Floor Compartment

I chose to use all nutplates/screws for strength and rigidity. My ELT and my strobe power supply are mounted to the top; nothing on ribs or floor. A second compartment is not out of the question, for oil, etc.
IMG_2185.jpg

Not as slick as some, but it did what I wanted it to do and kept the strobe power pack away from the magnetometer which will be at F-707 location.