Neal@F14

Well Known Member
Anybody know of a source for a small, and relatively weak, gas strut that's suitable for use as a baggage door hold-open?

spring

try a simple spring. Go to lowes or HD and buy a screen door spring. Cut part of it off. Its strong enough to hold the door open in compression. Then you just knock it over to close. Costs about $2.37 plus a couple of scraps of angle.

I sure like that spring idea. Simple, lightweight, foolproof, and dirt cheap. Ingenious.

Thanks!

Baggage door

Gas strut does cost more but...................if you leave the door unlocked it will pop it up so you won't take-off with it unlocked then experience a door flying up in your face when airborne. BTW, rightr rudder will close the door. The gas strut can be ordered from McMaster Carr catalog. Get a mini gas spring. Various forces avail. I ended up using the 20lb version.

Gas strut does cost more but...................if you leave the door unlocked it will pop it up so you won't take-off with it unlocked then experience a door flying up in your face when airborne. BTW, rightr rudder will close the door. The gas strut can be ordered from McMaster Carr catalog. Get a mini gas spring. Various forces avail. I ended up using the 20lb version.

I ordered a gas strut on-line from McMaster Carr while building my -8. I got a call from one of their sales reps the following day. She said, " I notice your shipping address is on Aviation Lane. Is this part you ordered for an airplane?" Without thinking I answered in the affirmative. She then told me that they could not supply parts for aircraft and cancelled my order.:mad:

I should have told her it was for an RV.:rolleyes:

spring

I ordered a gas strut on-line from McMaster Carr while building my -8. I got a call from one of their sales reps the following day. She said, " I notice your shipping address is on Aviation Lane. Is this part you ordered for an airplane?" Without thinking I answered in the affirmative. She then told me that they could not supply parts for aircraft and cancelled my order.:mad:

Told you to use a spring!! :D:D

Camping Store

If you have a local Recreational Vehicle dealer nearby you might find a non-gas, spring loaded cabinet door hold-open that is suitable. They come in plastic and metal, and look just like gas shocks, but they are just enclosed springs.

...Is this part you ordered for an airplane?" Without thinking I answered in the affirmative. She then told me that they could not supply parts for aircraft and cancelled my order..

Been there, done that. Sometimes a little misdirection is in order. All my PRSU parts were for "wind machines". Yeah, yeah, you know, to keep frost off the peaches.

EAA Hall-of-Fame'r Chuck Slusarczyk (CGS Aviation) once wrote that in the early days he ordered a lot of parts under the name of "Chuck's Garden Service".

Home Depot has an aviation isle so no issues like that. Scroll down a little on this page. http://home.comcast.net/~jwdweb2/Finish7/finish7.html