RV8R999

Well Known Member
Doesn't appear that VAN's sells the baggage door lock individually as the only place I can find it is in conjunction with the keyed start/mag switch.

Anyone have a different source? The local home depot cabinet locks are too long.

Thanks!

Ken

I found mine at a hardware store

Most hardware stores will have at least a small selection of these locks with various lengths. If you can't find one locally, check out some of the woodworking sites on line; like Rockler, which has one for 3/4" stock for about $12 (part #98998).

I modified mine so it fits flush with the surface (Ya; I know, its a little anal) so I can't give you a part number that would necessarily fit yours.

Lock

I found my original lock at Home Depot.
After seeing John Myers canaopy lock, I got matched key sets from Aircraft Spruce to fashion my own canopy lock. ACS also sells key blanks for their locksets.

I used Aircraft Spruce part number 11-01600 - that gives you two matching baggage door locks + one key. Key blanks are part number 11-03175. Scroll down on this page to find them.

Great timing. I was looking for a baggage lock too. I saw some locks at H.D., but they looked like they would be too "bulky."

Harold, do you have more info/pics on your mod. I like the flush option.

Lots of pictures

Fred,
I've got lots of pic during the assemby process. Send me a PM with a regular email and I'll send pictures and some details on what I did.

It was time-consuming, but something just wanted to do. H

lock length?

Anybody in your shop or hangar and can measure the baggage door lock LENGTH? Locks come in various lengths (depths) and that measurement would be helpful. Can't find the dimensions on either Van's or ACS ...

I bought mine at the local Ace hardware. I don't remember the length, but I figured it out at the time by taking some measurements on the door itself.

Well, that's the problem. I'm not at my hangar and won't be until Sunday at the earliest. I was considering replacing the supplied lock with a different kind, but need to know the length first. I was hoping that someone currently building could just measure the length of the lock barrel (or the door thickness) so I could order a new lock. That's all. No big deal. I'll get it done next week.

Lock Size

Smokey,
The lock barrel is 5/8" long. The locking arm is 1 5/8" overall, 1 3/8" from the star-shaped hole center to the locking tip.

BTW, Van's #ES A-510-2K lock set is the same as Spruce's 11-03172...my box from Van's has the Spruce sticker on the side.

Mike