RV8MW

Well Known Member
INSTALLING REAR BAGGAGE COMPARTMENT FLOOR DECIDED TO INSTALL NUTPLATES TO MAKE IT REMOVABLE. MY QUESTION IS THE ONES WHO HAVE DONE THIS DID YOU COUNTERSINK THE FLOOR RIBS AND DIMPLE BOTTOM FLOOR FOR COUNTERSUNK SCREWS OR DID YOU USE TRUSS HEAD SCREWS HAVE ALREADY DRILLED FOR NUTPLATES BUT HAVE NOT COUNTERSUNK YET # 8 SCREWS.

RV8MW said:
INSTALLING REAR BAGGAGE COMPARTMENT FLOOR DECIDED TO INSTALL NUTPLATES TO MAKE IT REMOVABLE. MY QUESTION IS THE ONES WHO HAVE DONE THIS DID YOU COUNTERSINK THE FLOOR RIBS AND DIMPLE BOTTOM FLOOR FOR COUNTERSUNK SCREWS OR DID YOU USE TRUSS HEAD SCREWS HAVE ALREADY DRILLED FOR NUTPLATES BUT HAVE NOT COUNTERSUNK YET # 8 SCREWS.
Actually, I used both methods on my 6A baggage area floor. In some areas (around the perimeter) I used truss head screws but mostly installed flush screws through dimpled holes and K1100 nutplates on the majority of the floor ribs. In all cases, I machine countersunk the nutplate attach holes for NAS1097AD3 rivets. I plan to do similiar on the -8 since I'm going to need access to the space under the floor.

I did not install flush screws cause I hate them darn phillips screws. I installed socket head screws to make it easily removable.
Screw heads keep things from sliding around. Or put carpet over it and they are gone.