chris mitchell

Well Known Member
Patron
I've now fought my way almost to the end of the snorkel and baffles installation. In the end, not too bada job, but I htink this has possibly been the least enjoyable part of the whole build and is certainly the one where I have had to order the greatest proportion of replacement parts (baffles on the left - over-trimmed).

I now have the air-seal fabric in place around all the "outside" baffles, but I'm uncertain about its positioning on the two "front" baffles, the ones lie behind the spinner. Along the top its obvious that it should lie up against the underside of the top cowling. However, along the (sloping) sides, should it lie up against the cowling, or should it lie against the two inlet ramps? There is a big difference in the trimming. The sides of the baffles are very close to the edges of the inlet ramps - maybe 1/4 inch to spare or so. It is very unclear on the instructions which way to go, SFAICS. It probably doesn't really matter that much (especially as I live in rainy cold England and not nice, warm, sunny, Texas) but what do most folk do?

Thanks

Chris

Chris, I trimmed mine to lay on the ramps. My thinking was that if it went up to the cowling the air pressure would push it out of the way. Did you seal the end of your ramps?

Either way ok

Chris

I found the same thing. In my case the ramps went into this area so I shaped the baffles to follow the ramps but it meant that the rubber seal was difficult to trim for a good fit. To make it work I used a number for smaller pieces of seal.
One thing to watch out for is that if you take the other option of sealing against the top of the cowl is that you block off the ramp so air can't escape through the ramp and then down the side of the engine.

I see your near oxford. I'm based in the bhx area so if you want to catch up email me at:

[email protected]

Peter

RV7 G-PBEC

along the ramps

I had the same question when doing mine and asked Van's email tech support. Their response was to have the seal material follow the ramps.

Chris
RV-6A, almost done....
Mountain View, CA

I was not pleased with the fit in the transition area from the front ramps to the center section after installing my baffles. I used some flower arrangement foam and formed it in between the ramps on the center. I then did a glass layup on it to and after trimming bonded it to the ramps and the center section of the cowl. I retrimmed the front baffles and installed new seal material. This gave a very nice seal on the transition area from the ramps to the front baffles. I also glassed in the inboard side of the ramps. I've been flying in some very warm weather and haven't had any temperature problems on a new engine. There are some links available in other threads about adding some extensions on the ramps for better sealing. This worked for me. Wish I had a better picture.

Rocky