crabandy

Well Known Member
I just started fitting/trimming my baffling, the parts seem to fit very well except the baffles overlap the Rocker Cover Gaskets. I assume I should file the baffle to fit around the gasket? Is it OK to trim the gasket flush with the outside of the Rocker Cover?
Thanks,
Andy

Some filing will be required. Keep in mind that some rocker box gaskets are wider than others. OEM gaskets typically protrude only slightly beyond the cover while some of the "better" silicon gaskets are not only thicker, but wider.
If you have not done so already, I would recommend changing your gaskets now to silicon. Again, some match the OEM cork width, some are quite a bit wider.

One other thing: If your engine is an angle-valve model, make sure that the gaskets are installed correctly. As I recall, they are not exactly right-left symmetrical. When installed backwards they seal fine but the gasket sticks out more on one side than the other.

Thanks, Bob K.

Thanks for the replies. I have a parallel valve and what must be the upgraded rocker cover gaskets. They are orangish (consistency or silicone rubber) and are about 1/8 inch wider than the rocker cover. I'll get to filing...

I'd definitely file the baffle to fit around the silicone gasket.

Once you cut or nick a silicone gasket, it has a tendency to start to tear from the point of damage.