rv72004

Well Known Member
I need some advice on the application of the top cowl ramps [ones used to smooth airflow] I can either have the baffle sit next to the ramp OR I can trim the baffle so the ramp is above the baffle and the rubber seals against the ramp.
Either will work but would like to know what others have done with their setup.
O ,mine is a xp360 motor, straight valve .

Also I would like to leave the baffles raw aluminium but am concerned about possible corrosion. They are all done, riveted etc. Could they still be anodised?
Is epoxy coat better than paint for this application.
Once again all above will work but would like some feedback from those who have lived with these possible options.Thanks

No Worries

Leave the baffles bare. They're far more likely to suffer mechanical failure than replacement due to corrosion. Besides, if the baffles are so corroded as to require replacement, they're easy to replace, right out there in the open, but the airplane probably should be scrapped because you've got corrosion everywhere, deep inside, by then.

Position the elephant ears over the sloped ramps so seal riveted to the side metal lays on them. I had to add a bit of glass lay-up to widen one ear to facilitate this behind the spinner.

John Siebold

Baffle fun...

I trimmed my baffles to be held against the fiberglass ramps by the cowl inlet airflow. By ensuring the baffles material seals against the ramps, the cooling air pressure can be increased down through the cylinders for more even CHT's.

As far as corrosion protection of the baffles goes... I personally did not worry about baffle corrosion for a couple of reasons. 1. Any corrosion that might occur here can be handled easily with a shot of CorrosionX or other anti corrosion sprays = cheap. 2. Paying to anodize or epoxy coat, etc. just seemed like a waste of cash that I could use for the avionics. 3. The baffles are prone to developing stress cracks over time due to their tough life so any repairs in the future would negate the coatings in that particular area.

I guess if you are building a plane to show and win awards, painting, coating, etc. might be desired from a asthetic standpoint.

Jeff - Flying 43.7hrs

In my opinion, both methods of sealing the baffles would work fine.
One thing to consider, though is that the edges of ramps will probably rub against the side of the baffles and cause wear if you decide to seal against the cowl instead of the ramp. I have seen it done both ways and they both seem to work fine. Of course, you could always build a plenum.....

I ran my baffles unpainted for over 7 years with no problems. Just clean them when ever you have the cowl off.

I also painted one set of baffles and they held up just fine, also. Used PPG Concepts paint, which is very durable.