tinman

Well Known Member
The tension rods on the bottom of the baffles are stainless steel. I have had no luck with cutting threads on them...my die won't even scratch it. Any hints?

The tension rods on the bottom of the baffles are stainless steel. I have had no luck with cutting threads on them...my die won't even scratch it. Any hints?
I had the same trouble until I purchased a higher quality die.

Thread cutting

I guess the dies I inherited from my late father-in-law were good ones (they're probably as old as me - and I ain't young). I didn'nt have any trouble either.

Scott Hersha

Use something bigger

I used a small bolt cutter like you would cut a lock. Then used a bench grinder and cleaned up the cut and rounded the corner. Nut went right on.

I had real trouble getting the first thread cut - in other words, I had a problem getting it started.

I finally figured out that if I put a good taper on the end (using my medium polishing wheel) the die would seat on the rod end and it was much easier to get it going. Then it was just a matter of working it back and forth making a little progress each time.

Threaded rod

I bought stainless threaded rod, and bent it gently to go around the higher (lower) spots on the cylinders.

As Webb mentioned in a previous post, then cut and clean the ends. I suspect Webb used a threaded rod as well.

Let me clarify

I bought stainless threaded rod, and bent it gently to go around the higher (lower) spots on the cylinders.

As Webb mentioned in a previous post, then cut and clean the ends. I suspect Webb used a threaded rod as well.

I should have said die instead of nut (duh). The rods were solid, not threaded.

You HAVE to taper the end slightly to get the die to bite. Clamp the rod in your vise and use plenty of oil. I had the same problem. Start the die and progress slowly, work back and forth and it will happen. The key is to taper the end so the die will bite. (trust me)

Thanks everyone.
I will go buy a good die and throw out my cheapie from The Land of Not Quite
Right.

What's wrong with the good ole tie wire method? You will not be cussing the nuts on stainless down the road... :)

Don't throw yet

Thanks everyone.
I will go buy a good die and throw out my cheapie from The Land of Not Quite
Right.

Before you throw, taper it and see if it will bite. Once it starts to bite, it will cut it. Don't forget the oil and work it back and forth eating a little up with each new turn.

threading

If you have access to a lathe, chuck the rod in the lathe and use the tailstock to push the die against the rod. After a turn or two the remainder can be threaded by hand. It is also possible to use this same principle in a drill press, depending on the depth of the chuck/length of rod. If you can find a small machine shop that has a thread chaser, this produces a much cleaner thread than a die. MSC Supply is a company that has all sorts of cutting tools, from cheap imports to top of the line. Most of the quality cutting tools are still made in US.