mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I just spend two days sorting out the baffles, and I am baffled. I am building an RV 8, Mattituck IO 360 M1B (forward AP Induction) using Sam James cowl and plenum. The plenum came with stencils for cutting the baffles. I did so and then started fitting them. The ones that go on the side around the heads were pretty straightforward. Everything else is a bit confusing. Specific questions:
1. I know that you want the forward and rear baffling around the cylinders to curve to direct airflow around them. How far around should they go? There is a flow director on the bottom between the cylinders that came with the engine. Should the baffles touch then, be riveted to them or have a gap. How much gap and then are the ends of the baffles just sort of flapping in the breeze?
2. The aft end should seal off the airflow so it all goes down to the cylinders. Should this rear transverse baffle fit just in front of the rear of the engine or sort of on top of the case at its widest part. The case sort of flares at the aft end. I am not sure quite where I am supposed to be fitting this.
3. Forward end: Sam's plans look like there are three pieces on the left, two on the right. Should there be a flat piece that is horizontal with the others then coming behind?

Do my descriptions convey just how confused I am? Anyone else fit a James Plenum and used his baffle plans? A few good pictures would really help.

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Finishing
San Ramon

Baffels

I will get some pictures up on my website tomorrow you can look at. I think they will answer your questions.

The baffles are truly baffling

Thanks

Thanks, Noel. I visited your website. Nice work. Think I will use your camloc instructions. Where should I look for the baffling baffles?

Regards,

Michael WYnn

Michael, I used the Van's baffle kit and modified it for the James plenum. It is all pre-cut and fits perfectly. Get all the side and back baffling on and set the James plenum in it and mark and trim. Don