whd721

Well Known Member
I am trying to finish baffle installation on my RV9. I have noted large gaps between the crankcase and the inside edges of the baffles ( 1-1 1/2inch) on the lower half of the cylinders and where they wrap under the cylinders.

Has anyone worried about closing these gaps?

I was thinking about using the orange silicon baffle material as a flexible edge, added to the inner edge of the baffle where they wrap under the cylinders.

Comments?

Thanks for the reply,

All the links to the ECI drawing were broken, however, the pictures were helpful.

I have the tapered cylinders, but my question was about a gap I have between the aft baffle and the crankcase before the base of the cylinder is reached. The gap exists in front (1 & 2)or aft (3 & 4) of all four cylinder bases.

Has anyone used silicon baffle material to seal gaps?

I am having difficulty describing the issue clearly, I hope this helps.

ECI drawings

Here is what ECI provides for their solution. I'm not sure this works for the #4 cylinder, but the idea is to build these end pieces and rivet them to your existing baffles and the base of the barrels. http://www.eci.aero/pdf/06-02.pdf

Jason Beaver has some things on his blog about how he did it. Here is a link to that. http://www.jasonbeaver.com/rv7/2011/12/started-working-on-modifying-b.html

I'm also considering a way to use the silicone but have yet to figure out how to keep it from blowing open.

I used baffle seal material to seal the baffles to the crankcase ahead of #1 & 2 cylinders. See photos below. Is that what you are attempting to describe? If not, post a photo. As the saying goes, a picture is worth (pick a number) words...

i-nNwPxLG-M.jpg

i-HLSD2GL-M.jpg

i-hnnS439-M.jpg

Thanks guys,

My original question was " Is anyone concerned about these gaps at the lower half of the cylinders". The clear answer is yes. The gaps are a concern.

I have tapered cyls also.

The link to ECI provided by Grandy worked and the photos by Jason Beaver were clear.

I am going to play with poster board and the ECI concept next. My concern is tying the ECI cyl base addition to the Rear baffles and also to the front ramps.

My second (Maybe First) plan was to use the orange silicon baffle material in a "C" shape inside the lower curved baffle. It would be riveted to the inside of the lower curved baffles. I think the orange stuff is stiff enough to extend the approx 1 inch to the crank case from the baffle. The problem with this is the seal around the nut on the studs at the base of the cylinders

I will mock up both and see what turns up. I am at the point of the baffles installation to do this.

Lars, I really like your front end seals. I will use that as well.

Thanks to all for your help.