mbetti

I am getting ready to install the baffle on a RV7 tank. Any idea how many grams of sealant to mix up to get this done? Also how long before leak checking? What's the best way? Anybody just fill them up with avgas and let sit for a week? I did that with my Murphy just to be sure there was no issue, the tanks are part of the wing and can't be removed.
Mike

Baffle

I just finished my first baffle. I think I mixed 90 grams for the big butter job. I put sealant on the skin at the baffle, holes only on the interior ribs, and of course the entire flange on the end ribs. I also placed a bead just forward of the baffle holes.

I worked hard to maintain alignment between the skin holes and baffle holes. If exact alignment isn't maintained the rivets won't sit correctly. I set the rivets in the skin prior to setting any blind rivets as this allowed better hole alignment for the rivets in the skin.

I had a little twist or rack in the tank after installing the interior ribs that I had to correct during the baffle install. I clecoed the baffle and set every other rivet in the top skin then with about 10 clecos in the bottom of the baffle, racked the tank. It held long enough to start the bottom rivets and everything aligned pretty decent.

It was a marathon work session. Allow plenty of time.

If you really enjoy the baffle, I'll ship you my second one and let you install it :)

Good Luck.

I did my 10 baffles the other night. I unfortunately started it after my daughter went to bed at night and thought it would take an hour or two. It turned out to take 4 hours - until 2am.

I made about a 80g batch if I recall correctly and I was a little short when it came time to seal the shop heads. But this was my first tank and I was probably more heavy handed than an experienced builder and a lot was lost on the masking tape.

Thanks for the replies. Does a rivet squeezer work ok on the baffle? Is it necessary to goop up the an3 rivets and then also cover the shop heads?
Mike

Sure does. I used my pnuematic squeezer with a 3" yoke and it was just large enough. I also sealed all the shop heads and wet riveted like anything - just to be sure.

I waited one week before testing my tanks. It was cold and I wanted to make sure the proseal was cured.