szicree

Well Known Member
Can somebody show me how the outer baffle seal is supposed to lie at the inlet? I know that the seal is supposed to bend inboard as it runs along the side of the engine, but then what is supposed to happen when it gets to its forward end? Pics would be terrific.

i cut a v notch

into mine and when the cowl is on the folded down portion cant get blown down...i guess most people cut theirs off where i notched mine. i left the tab to hold the piece from being blown down.

see the deal is

most people fall into the trap of running the baffle up the ramp when they are actually suppose to go on the sides of the inlet ramps. if you do this properly you wont need to close off the outter sides of the inlet ramps. most people do very similar to what i have done and end up cutting down the sheet metal to match the profile of the inlet ramp, but you are suppose to go outside of the ramps. we'll see how this works out but if i run into any trouble i will redo the fron outter corners. ive seen many like mine and thats how i ended up this way...the instructions make perfectly good sense when your done.:rolleyes: really they do. this is a case where too much info is worse than better. good luck;)

I, like Steve, am having difficulty with the air seals and how they are supposed to "mate" with both the inboard and outboard sides of the inlet ramps. I tried to get mine to lay over the ramps but this leaves a "free edge" to catch the wind. I am flying but can't get the CHT's for #3 and #4 down in climb. I think that I will have to modify things so that the seals go up along side of the ramps but can't visualize how to do this. I would love to see some pictures of how others have solved this problem. How did you shape the baffles as they go up toward the nose- mine are cut down to the outline of the ramp? How much gap do you have between your baffles and your inlet ramp- mine seem too close to the ramp to let the air seals lay against the cowl?

Help! My RV9A flies like a charm but the CHT's in climb are driving me nuts! By the way, I am using a GRT's EIS and probes. Has anyone had an error in the way this unit manages the CHT's temps?

I have the same question

I'm working on putting the inlet ramps in and the baffeling. I had decided to cut the baffels and seal to follow the inlet ramps on the outside but the inside is driving me nuts! How do you seal off the front baffels with the inlet ramp next to it. I am having trouble figuring out a good transition from the ramps to the front baffles. They sure named these pieces of aluminum correctly. I'm baffled!

It seems the closer I get to being finished with this aircraft the more stupid I get!

Danny
RV-7A, TMX-IOF-360, WW 200RV

not that i did them right but

i closed in the ramps on the out side as detailed in this thread .http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=8209&highlight=glass+sides
i dont think this is the intended installation method. it is however the method i used. as i mentioned earlier, the plans dont make sense to me until im done.:mad:...story of my life. that hindsight thing. :rolleyes:

as far as distnace from ramp to sheet metal i used a 3/8 drillbit as a gauge to make sure i had enough clearance. then once the clearance was acheived i installed the seal material.....i beleive the sheet metal is supposed to go on the outsides of the ramp.and the seal material is to fold up over the ramps and to the cowl itself. the profile hints at this..this didnt seem clear until i realized how much i had trimmed away. but i have a really good seal and feel good about the installation. i can send you some pics if need be. let me know. i'll take them tommorow.YMMV

It seems the closer I get to being finished with this aircraft the more stupid I get!

Danny
RV-7A, TMX-IOF-360, WW 200RV
alot of stuff is counter intuitive and causes many of us to fall into the same pitfalls. kinda like flight lead loosing control of his acft. the others blindly follow him to their demise. this is the one reason why vans tech assist is and should always be the main source of info for the more than trivial stuff. however they too can give conflicting answers. :confused:

Thanks for the replys - that helps a bunch. Thanks cytoxin for the link - there's some really good info in that thread. I'm starting to feel like I can come up with a solution. I really didn't like how the seals were going to transltion from the cowl to the ramps and I could just see a bunch of lost air through those holes.
Danny