Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I have a used O-320-D3G in my RV-9A. I'm working on the baffles. Under the left baffle on ramp, there is a support that screws into the engine block. The screw hits a hard stop after screwing it about half way into the engine block. About 3/8 in. of the threads are in the hole, and 3/8 in. of the threads remain outside the hole. This is like all the other 1/4 in. baffle screws.

Of course I can't tighten down the ramp support without being able to thread the screw in much further.

I poked a nail in the hole and the hole is over an inch deep. So it is not hitting the bottom of the hole. Should I take a tap to the threads in this hole?

Any other suggestions? Here's a picture of the hole I'm talking about.

a979e0d75547496697b532a0d9bd4edf

Thanks for any help,
Michael-

I have the same engine and had no problem, so I would assume that the threads are not taken deep enough. Using a shorter screw would probably be OK, but it wouldn;t be good practice to add more than 2 washers.

It's very easy to shorten the screw with a hacksaw, or simply washer it. Adding a toothed lock washer will also help and keep it from backing out to boot. Tapping the case would be my last choice - the crankcase is the most expensive part, so I'd hate to mess with it.

Shorter screw...

Of course, use a shorter screw. That is the obvious answer. I gave into the mystic that I sometimes feel towards aircraft engines and ended up asking a silly question without thinking it through on my own.

Thanks for the answer!
Michael-