Just wondering if anyone might have some patterns for trimming the baffles in an RV-8. I am using the stock cowl from Van's (no air scoop on bottom) and a Lycoming IO-360-M1B engine (forward facing horiz induction). Some patterns would save me a lot of time!

I have the same set-up. But just how you hung, cut and fit your cowl, plus installed the scoop ramps would throw the whole pattern out of wack.
I used a combination of the paper clip method, and Van's instructions over a few nights with a little tequila.
Have you searched the threads on this?
I will be at the hangar soon if you still want the patterns. Let me know.
Cheers!

I assume that you have the Vans baffle kit and wish to jump to cutting the pieces to fit your cowl?

If that is the case, like Bruce stated, they are cut-to-fit. If your cowling is fitted then you are ready. At that point I did two things,

1. made some angles from 1/8" material bolted them to the back of the flywheel and threaded the top for a 5/16 bolt. The bolts became stops to ensure when the upper cowl was only connected to the firewall, it was in the proper position w/o lower cowl. Now I had room to mark.

2. Drill a hole in a small piece of .023, drill a 1/4" hole (or so) use the tapered end of a larger punch to flare the hole and fit it to the end of a sharpie. Then make a 3/4" circle out of it and that will become a spacer. Use a drill press or lathe to ensure concentricity. With the disc close to the tip, the angle is less of a problem.

Then mark and cut - repeat until satisfied. The marker will need to be taped to a stick for some areas. Like marking from inside for the side baffles.

It really won't take long for this part. Note that Paul Dye, took off his rocker covers fastened the baffle, then reinstalled them. The fit is perfect until the silicone gaskets expand. This way does not hurt a thing. I had already done it the hard way. Wish I had seen his post 2 days sooner!

Just expect a pile of trimmings.

Last edited: