Skint

Well Known Member
At last, I am working on my baffle and I look at OP 27a. Placement of the FF 709 doubler seems to be very vague. Seems to show 3/8ths in but how far up? Note 3 gives no guidance.
Comments please!

I agree. The prints say something like "mount the cooler as high as possible". That leaves quite a bit open for errors and replacement parts.
I mounted my FF-xxx doubler (the picture frame looking piece) 1-1/4" up from the bottom edge of the rear baffle. I also shortened the side edge distance from 3/8" to 1/4".

The limit on mounting the cooler as high as possible is illustrated in the drawing that shows a required cutout on the right rear flange of the cooler. If you mount the cooler so it clears the engine mount as shown, the maximum possible area of the cooler will be above the cylinder fins and exposed to unrestricted flow.

Watch out for moving the cooler so high that the top outside corner of the baffle structure becomes a fitment issue with the cowl.

John Siebold

If you set the bottom of your oil cooler right to the top of the #4 cylinder fins, that gives you maximum airflow and also enough clearance for the cowl on the top part. So use the cylinder cooling fin as your reference for the height.

You are almost there, keep it up and good luck.

Line up the top flange of the cooler doubler with the flange of the new filler/stiffener that fills the offset in the baffles. If you use that filler/stiffener, that is about as high as you can get.

Hey Mike

I looked at your oil cooler mount with the Van's shutter.

It seems there was a recent thread on the effectiveness of the shutter mechanism and IIRC, the shutter is not very effective mounted on the rear of the cooler, and that it should be on the front.

You might want to search that thread.