ltn6a

Hi Guys

Just a quick question,How much of the baffle material should i have above the sheet metal.I have been planning on 1.5" any thoughts.

Cheers

:)mark

That's about what I have. Better too much than not enough, although it is relatively easy to change out if necessary.

greg

That's about what I have. Better too much than not enough, although it is relatively easy to change out if necessary.

greg

Are you saying there is a 1.5 inch gap from the top of the baffle to the cowling? Sounds about right, but I am getting ready to cut my baffle and had not seen that dimension anywhere.

Are you saying there is a 1.5 inch gap from the top of the baffle to the cowling? Sounds about right, but I am getting ready to cut my baffle and had not seen that dimension anywhere.

No, you want 3/8-1/2" between the cowl and metal part of the baffle. 11/2" rubber material is about right. Up around the front will need a bit more trimming than that. Don't use the Vans material, get some good silicone material and you will never have to change it. Don

Hi

Just to confirm.I have 3/8" clearance from the metal to the cowl and was working on having 1.5" of the baffle material above the metal.Sounds as if that is in the ball park.

Mark

Yes, clearance from metal baffle to cowl should be about a half inch, maybe a bit more. I would guess that 3/8 inch may be too little in some places, but it really depends on how much your engine rolls around when it's first started. 1.5 inches of the baffle SEAL material is sufficient to rivet to the metal baffles and leave enough to really seal the top properly.

So far I'm happy with the Van's black stuff (very little wear), but only 220 hours.

greg