Noah

Well Known Member
Ready to install cabin heat duct flange off the baffle inlet ramp, only problem is, I don't have one. Is this a Vans supplied part? Does it normally come with the baffle kit? My FWF kit came with a piece of screen which I think was supplied for this purpose, but not sure. I deleted my firewall mounted heater valve from the FWF kit, maybe they normally ship this flange with that kit? Or do you just fabricate this part? The maual and drawings seem to be devoid of any reference.

Anybody got a clue on this one?

Vans suppied it

I put it on the intake ramp just ahead of the cylinders on the passenger side of the plane. i figures that this was the best place to get fresh air and avoid carbon monoxide problems if there was a leak in the exhaust somewhere. It provides lots of heat to the plane.

There was no such thing as a FWF kit back when ...

I looked at the forward inlet ramp and the rear baffle locations as possible and decided on the rear baffle behind cylinder #3 (the oil cooler is behind cylinder #4). Then I bought a flange mounted duct fitting (I thought it was from Vans but it could have been aircraft spruce) for the SCAT tubing to clamp on to. The control box for heat or dump (purchased from Van's) that I mounted on the firewall was structurally deficient (the first time I pulled the tubing off, it pulled the the mating cylinder out of the box - tack welded only - and I had to develop a rivet attachment). Inside behind the panel I have another control box (a cube structure about 4"x4"x4" with a flapper valve inside) to divert pilot side heat to the windshield when desired.

I probably could have used the flapper valve wedge shaped box on the rear baffle (sold by Van's) with a little thought and not required a dump duct when I don't want cabin heat but there was some obscure reason that wouldn't work for me - I actually did buy one in the development process.

When I race the plane I have aluminum cover plates that I made to close all the holes except the oil cooler in the rear baffle (cabin heat source and cooling blast tubes). There is a difference in speed and CHT#3 runs a little cooler in race configuration.

This is a system that requires a lot of thought as you develop it.

Bob Axsom

Thanks gents, appreciate the responses. I'll have to pick one of these up from Vans.